Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Salt Mixing Question

Salt Mixing Question

Hello,
    Have a question concerning mixing of pool salt for my SWG......I am in the process of starting up my Aqua Trol in my AGP, and I need to add about 4 bags of salt according to the calculations. I know I can dump the salt in and brush it around until it is dissolved, but here is where my question lies...According to the directions in the Aqua Trol manual, after the salt is in the pool, it reads like this..

"Run the filter pump for 24 hours with the suction coming from the main drain (use the pool vacuum if there is not a main drain) to allow the salt to evenly disperse throughout the pool."

ok, my AGP has no main drain, so how do I use the pool vacuum to do this??....Do I hook up the vacuum hose to the skimmer return and vac head, and just let it recirculate through that??..or isn't that what they mean?? I am a bit confused here!!
    I figured the pool water would recirculate enough just by running normally through the skimmer basket through the filter to get the salt evenly mixed??
    Am I missing something here, or am I just having a "brain fart"!!!!..can someone explain how to use the vacuum to recirculate the water??

Thanks so much!!

Curt
    24' AGP (13,600 gal)
    Sand Filter with 1.5hp pump
    Lancaster, PA

Re: Salt Mixing Question

Just dump it in. Brush it until it is all dissolved and run your pump for 24 hours (maybe brush a few times) ... that should mix everything just fine.

The vacuum would just allow you to pull water from the bottom ... if you brush, you will be mixing the water from the bottom of the pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, Dolphin Diagnostic Robotic Cleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Gone: Hayward RS1500 pump, undersized DIY solar heater, Dolphin Dynamic Robotic Cleaner
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

Senior Member In the Industry

Put the salt in and brush it around. It'll mix quite readily.

They are being a little too fussy and you don't have a main drain anyway, so ignore it.

jblizzle beat me to it!!
    Dave S.
    Site Owner 42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter, No SWG
    TFTestkits owner
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

ok..thanks!!!

That was my thoughts too..as that is how I did it last year, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything!!
    Thanks for putting my mind at ease!!

Curt
    24' AGP (13,600 gal)
    Lancaster, PA

Oh, and by the way Duraleigh...I got my new Speedstir this season, and it is awesome!!..definitely worth the purchase!!
    Thanks

Curt

PS....are you anywhere near Garner, NC?..We have friends down there that we met at Emerald Isle, NC a few years ago!!
    We go to visit them every August on the way to EI, then spend a week with them at the beach...we love Raleigh!! (actually would like to move on down there!!)
    24' AGP (13,600 gal)
    Lancaster, PA