Greetings fellow TFP'ers, hope everyone is doing well and apologies ahead of time for the long novel below but I know it helps here with too much detail vs. not enough
Well I've been going good, just maybe one or two days where I let the FC go .50 below the minimum but today I noticed some small quarter size spots on the sides and bottom that looked like green algae so the panic button went off and I began the shock process.
My initials readings before the shock were:
5:00 p.m. central
ALK: 90 (on 5/20)
CH: 120 (on 5/8)
CYA: 50 (on 5/20)
I went by the pool store (now hear me out) just to get some salt strips and salt (was just $1 more per bag than Lowes) as I have read that salt makes the water feel so much better, won't dry you out, etc.. Anyway I figured I might as well get a free test LOL and they had me at:
Now I know they are by far the pros when it comes to testing but this got me a little concerned as they had the TC almost 1 PPM lower than what my TFTkit showed and the kicker was the CYA was a lot higher. I'll admit I am not that good at the CYA test, still learning but it seemed like I could still barely make out the dot when it was closer to 60 so once I got closer to 50 I couldn't see it anymore so that's what I went with, but this made me think maybe this is why i started seeing algae?
I've been really really good with testing every day or every other day and usually adding about 3 FC every other day to keep in the range of 4 - 8 using a 50 CYA and lose no more than 1.5 to 2.0 FC on a sunny day however this makes me think I should split the difference and go back to 60?
Anyway back to the shock process....So I added the following:
320 (2.5 jug) oz of 12.5% to raise it 20.1
182 oz of 6.0% to raise it 5.6
80 oz of 10.0% (two month old jug, used to be 12.5%) to raise it 4.0
so that should\would make it 33.2
I just tested and my levels are:
FC: 36.0 (72 drops in 10 ml) also it is still sunny here so assuming my liquid chlorine was maybe a little stronger...
pH: 8.2 (very very dark purple )
So here are my questions and appreciate any and all help:
Do I need to now add acid for the pH or wait til I am done with the shock process? I've been at 7.5 for the last month now so now I just created another thing to worry about LOL.
With the shock process, I've read it several times and from what I can tell I am already passing 2 items (pool is crystal clear and was already clear before I shocked with the exception of the 4 or so quarter-size spots, so if I pass the FC test am I done? The pool has always been clear ever since I learned the BBB from this site and got my CYA back down, in fact I've NEVER seen it this clear before especially when I go underwater.
Do I need to keep adding bleach to maintain the 34FC as I didn't know if you only do this until the pool is clear and since mine is already wasn't sure? I also didn't know if I just test each hour or since it's already clear if I just wait to do the overnight test? I've brushed the sides and don't need to backwash, in fact I haven't had to backwash for a while as the pressure hasn't increased the 25%. I also run the variable pump 3 hours on 2100 RPM daily and 17 hours on 1000 RPM for about a 2.2 turnover rate daily.
Did I overreact and should I only do the shock process when really needed such as it begins to get cloudy, I lose more than 2 FC a day when it's sunny and or there is more than just a couple quarter size green spots?
I purposely tried to get the level to 34 as a just in case for mustard algae, but once I am done, do I just let it go back down to the normal range and what ppm would it be safe to get back in and use? I didn't know if I needed to wait til it got down to the regular shock level of 24 or if mustard shock level was ok?
Going forward, does it hurt anything by using a higher FC range maybe 10 or 20 more than what I think my CYA level is? I just didn't want to cause any problems, like bleaching out my suits or liner.
Thanks as always, off to test in about an hour.