Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need to Raise CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

Need to Raise CYA

Have been using the BBB method for two years and it has been great, CYA was about 100 when I started BBB and this year I filled the whole tube and the dot is still there so it is less than 20. I have a chlorine pac left from two years ago I would love to get rid of, it is trichlor about 5 1/2 pounds in the pac. Seems like the perfect opportunity, what do you think? How much of it would I need to consume to get from say 10 to about 40 or 50 if I go this route?

FC=4
    CC=0
    TA=70
    PH=7.5
    CYA<20
    24,000 gal vinyl Lazy L, 1 hp pump, DE Filter, Pentair 250K heater, Letro Legend pressure side pool sweep

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need to Raise CYA

It would take about 175 oz of trichlor, or about 11 lbs, to raise CYA by 30. Raising CYA with trichlor is a very slow process.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by jccams
    Have been using the BBB method for two years and it has been great, CYA was about 100 when I started BBB and this year I filled the whole tube and the dot is still there so it is less than 20. I have a chlorine pac left from two years ago I would love to get rid of, it is trichlor about 5 1/2 pounds in the pac. Seems like the perfect opportunity, what do you think? How much of it would I need to consume to get from say 10 to about 40 or 50 if I go this route?

FC=4
    CC=0
    TA=70
    PH=7.5
    CYA<20
    According to the pool calculator (effects of adding chemical section at bottom), adding 88oz of trichlor will raise your FC by 25, raise CYA by 15, lower pH by 1.35, and raise saly by 21.

So..a couple thoughts...
    You would not want to do this all at once (to keep FC and pH in check).
    Why are you shooting for 40-50 CYA? The appropriate rage is 30-50...and I would recommend at least STARTING at the lower end of that. You can always add more CYA..but lowering that number is much more difficult.

4. Back To Top    #4

How does your pool look?

Seems like when all the CYA disappears over the winter there is sometime ammonia in the pool, although given that you are showing a FC reading, this may not be the case.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    How does your pool look?

Seems like when all the CYA disappears over the winter there is sometime ammonia in the pool, although given that you are showing a FC reading, this may not be the case.
    Pool looks great, opened clear and still had FC of about 1. CYA didn't disappear over the winter it has been a two year process of draining some periodically and then two closings where they drain below the returns. I'm in MI so it gets closed in the winter. My thought is even if it is a slow process I could consume what I have and keep the FC level at 4 or 5 and in about 3-4 weeks go back to bleach and add more stabilizer via the sock if needed. It seems like this will be my only opportunity to get rid of this stuff that I paid 45 bucks for without harming my water chemistry.
    24,000 gal vinyl Lazy L, 1 hp pump, DE Filter, Pentair 250K heater, Letro Legend pressure side pool sweep

6. Back To Top    #6

Or you can save it to use if you might go on vacation for a week or so.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!