Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dumbest question of all time

1. Back To Top    #1

New Engalnd

Dumbest question of all time

I'll delete this once its answered and i realize i'm a dummy. the end of my brush broke off when scrubbing the pool a week or so ago. I'm in shock mode right now, so i havent gone in the water. Leaves and other debris will consume the chlorine's efforts. Will the end of my brush eat up any of the chlorine too?

side note, the shocking to a clear pool is taking a tad longer than it did the last few years.. so i just want to make sure i have mmy bases covered.

Hayward Pump 3/4 HP - brand new
    sta rite sand filter - not sure of size, i will get back to this
    20 by 40 inground pool, vinyl liner, 8ft deep end
    2 skimmers and a main drain.
    1 jet in the deep end, 1 jet in the shallow end.
    Live in New England = about 3 months of pool usage.

2. Back To Top    #2

Stowe, VT

Re: Dumbest question of all time

Not a dummy question at all.

I've always looked at it as "everything" consumes chlorine. Sunlight, wind (debris), even putting your "dirty" hand in to capture test sample will eat the smallest amount of chlorine. This may not be worth worrying about because the amount would be miniscule, as far as the brush goes. I doubt you'd see any noticeable difference while testing.
    69,000 Gal gunite indoor IG pool.
    5 HP Emerson - Pentair Triton II Commercial TR140c Sand Filter x2
    5,000 Gal gunite outdoor IG hot tub
    2 HP Sta-Rite - Pentair Triton II Commercial TR140c Sand Filter

3. Back To Top    #3
    Nashville, TN

I would think the difference between the brush and those other things is that the brush itself, being inorganic, wouldn't "eat" any chlorine.

It might very well have some organics ON it for a while, that would "eat" chlorine until they were killed...but after that, the brush should be inert just as any other inorganic object (steps, liner, etc) in the pool is.

Unless, of course, you made your own brush out of pork ribs and horse hair?
    Pool School helps me maintain my 13,500G 24' x 48" ASP with Sand Filtration using a TF100 Test Kit and Pool Calculator.
    Remember, the Shock Process should be followed until : 1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.
    --I didn't buy my pool to swim in it. I bought my pool to watch my wife swim in it. :wink:

4. Back To Top    #4
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

No such thing as a dumb question! I've asked a few myself.

That being said, I'm not sure I understand your question. Chlorine is consumed by two things: sunlight/UV radiation and organics. If your brush had junk on it, then the junk would use chlorine. However, the plastic of the brush itself won't use chlorine.

EDIT: Gordon beat me to it.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

Metro Atlanta, Georgia

The only dumb question, is the unasked question. And take heart, it will help someone who wants to know the same thing, in the future.

But back to the broken brush, stuff like that just gets my goat and only happens when I need it most! Hang in there.
    My cement pond is a 36K gunite 20X40 built in mid 1960s, Hayward S244S filter, Aquarite SWCG, Jandy 1.5HP 2sp, TF-Test kit and Nitro Wall Climber