First Time Shocking with Bleach

The sun is setting so it's getting tougher to see outside,but it definitely looks much more blue than before. As far as the testing, I'm using the chlorine only vial and filling it to the 10 ml mark. I'm adding one heaping scoop of the r-870 using the curved edge of the little blue spoon which turns the solution pink. The last test took 7 drops and swirling of the r-871 to turn it back to clear. I then add 5 drops of the r-0003 which turns the solution a deep pink. The last test took 29 drops and swirling to get it back to clear. The only question I have is that after I put the r-871 in and it turns clear and I write down the FC, the solution starts turning pink again. Should I stop swirling, let it sit, and then keep adding R-871 until it stays clear?

Reactions: BarbaraB
Jerry Lee said:
The sun is setting so it's getting tougher to see outside,but it definitely looks much more blue than before. As far as the testing, I'm using the chlorine only vial and filling it to the 10 ml mark. I'm adding one heaping scoop of the r-870 using the curved edge of the little blue spoon which turns the solution pink. The last test took 7 drops and swirling of the r-871 to turn it back to clear. I then add 5 drops of the r-0003 which turns the solution a deep pink. The last test took 29 drops and swirling to get it back to clear. The only question I have is that after I put the r-871 in and it turns clear and I write down the FC, the solution starts turning pink again. Should I stop swirling, let it sit, and then keep adding R-871 until it stays clear?
Faint pink a minute or two after you stop is normal. Faint pink as soon as you stop swirling is not.

Try putting more powder in - it should go almost neon. I call it Barbie Pink. If you have a couple undissolved crystals before you start adding R-0871, you have the right amount.

Do you have any chlorine tablets in feeders or floaters somewhere? It seems like you do because your CYA appears to be going up. I would be adjusting my shock level to match the CYA reading. At a CYA of 55 you shouldn't let your FC go below 17. I would overshoot to 25 if you can't stay on top of the dosing.

It seems strange that the more chlorine you add the more it gets "turned" into CC and even your CYA is rising. Do any of the experts know of any process where CYA is "regenerated" or is it just a testing issue?

Also, with that level of CC I would definitely not allow anyone in the pool.

Noooo not necessarily... Things are going in the right directions... You just have a bunch of fugly in the pool ... Keep it up. If you keep the FC as close to shock level as often as possible... Things will eventually go your way. I didn't see any dead bodies in the bottom of the pool, but it looks like you are trying to oxidize one with bleach!

I would stop testing the cya every time. Just assume its something and stick there ( I would pick the highest cya reading you have gotten, just to be safe)

Go back and read the cya procedures an make sure everything is constant for all tests... Especially lighting. For cya test consistency I use the (bright) artificial lighting in my pool bathroom).

I'm thinking someone turned my pool into a bathroom, that's why I'm having this problem. Since 3:30 this afternoon, until now, I've put 5005 oz, or 39.1 gallons, of 6% bleach in my pool. The pool seems to be crystal clear, stinks like a clorox plant exploded, and I can't get a FC reading of over 10. I'm testing again at 9:30 and calling it a night. Thanks for all the help. I tried to find an instructional video for the tf-100 online but can find nothing. Maybe tomorrow I'll record a testing of myself and put it on youtube for critique.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For test number 7, I couldn't believe the results so I did the test 3 times..........

Test A
FC-2.5
CC-11

Test B
FC-1.5
CC-11.5

Test C
FC-1.5
CC-11

My right eye is starting to twitch. I don't know if because I'm going crazy, or I got some bleach in it!

Test #6

FC-7
CC-10

I'm obviously doing something wrong
Why do you think that?

Test #8 6:00am

FC-1
CC-3.5
In each test you have posted, you have never attained shock value. With a CYA of 40ppm, you should be bringing your FC up to 16ppm each time you test and you should be replenishing back up to 16ppm more often. You have a lot of stuff to burn off in your pool and shock level chlorine will do it. You are tapping your pool with a child's toy hammer.....hit your pool with the 16ppm sledgehammer and then keep hitting it. Your pool will clear.

Given those CC numbers it's gonna take a lot of bleach to burn it off. If it's ammonia, it's burning up your FC as soon as you pour it in. It's just going to take a while to get it all burned off. Keep bringing it back to 20 ppm FC as often as you can and soon it'll turn the corner and you'll see marked improvement.

Day 2 Test #1

FC- .5
CC- .5

The water is crystal clear. I'm going to add more 6% to try and bring the FC back to 16 as Dave said. The problem is according to How to Shock, I should be doing this only once an hour and as soon as I put the 6% in, it seems to be eaten up. So, once the hour is over I need to put another 1000 oz. of 6% in. Is it ok to check every 15 minutes and readjust? I have to be getting close, the water is beautiful.[attachment=0:j2qw59pk]6th pool pic.jpg[/attachment:j2qw59pk]

Attachments

• 6th pool pic.jpg
    6th pool pic.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 599
Yes in the early stages it's ok to do it more, but you need to give the water a little time to mix, otherwise it won't be the same the whole pool over. You will have variation throughout the pool of chlorine level. If you think it's getting eaten up fast, brush the pool after addin to help mix it up and reduce the wait time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.