Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Time Shocking with Bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

First Time Shocking with Bleach

After struggling every summer to keep my pool clear, I'm ecstatic I've found this site to help me. Hopefully you guys will be patient with me until I get the hang of it, but here goes nothin'.......

FC- 3
    CC- 3
    Ph- 7.2
    TA- 120
    CH- 140
    CYA- 60
    Water color is blue-green and slightly cloudy with no visible algae on the walls or floor.

These results are from Leslie's and I have a TF-100 on the way. Using the calculator, I'm assuming I need to get FC to 18ppm to begin the shock process. The calculator says I'll need 778 oz. of 6% bleach.

Here are the questions... should I raise the ph and/or Ch before adding the bleach? What are the possibilities I'll be finished with the shock process and have FC back down to swimmable figures by Sunday?

Thanks for the help in advance!
    28K IG Gunite, 60 sq. ft. Pentair DE Filter, 2.2hp WhisperFlo Pump, Polaris 3900 Vac in Baltimore, MD.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First Time Shocking with Bleach

Leave the PH alone. You can add some CH before you start shocking, or wait, just don't add any during shocking.

It would be good to double check that CC reading. I don't totally trust any pool store test results.

If things go well you could easily be swimming by the weekend, but there isn't enough information here to really be sure. CC will often go away very quickly, but it isn't clear where the CC came from, and some possibilities there could lead to complications.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I guess I'll just wait till the TF-100 gets here before I do any thing drastic if you're saying the CC looks odd.
    28K IG Gunite, 60 sq. ft. Pentair DE Filter, 2.2hp WhisperFlo Pump, Polaris 3900 Vac in Baltimore, MD.

4. Back To Top    #4

ok got my tf100 a few days ago and am now ready to go....

CYA- 48
    FC- .5
    CC- 1.5
    PH- 7.2
    TA- 120
    CH-230

So using the Chlorine/ CYA chart I'll be shocking my pool to 20 FC (rounding up from 48) using 1011 oz. of 6% Bleach. How often should I test after the initial dosing of bleach?

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd do the first test an hour later. The amount of FC you lose in that first hour will kind of set the pace for your testing through the rest of the shock process.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

6. Back To Top    #6

Bleach is in... BTW here's a pic... pool is clear with a slight green tint to it.

[attachment=0:321s17l2]1st pool pic.jpg[/attachment:321s17l2]

Hey! Why'd my hose come off of the Polaris?
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Lee
    ok got my tf100 a few days ago and am now ready to go....

CYA- 48
    FC- .5
    CC- 1.5
    PH- 7.2
    TA- 120
    CH-230

So using the Chlorine/ CYA chart I'll be shocking my pool to 20 FC (rounding up from 48) using 1011 oz. of 6% Bleach. How often should I test after the initial dosing of bleach?
    I predict a quick victory. You have the test kit, the understanding, and the pool calculator.

Check it in an hour, see how much FC you lost and how much you need to add to replenish it. Then adjust the interval so you keep it within 3 of the target.

Don't forget to brush, that knocks the skin off any slimy algae on the walls. And toss any pool toys or tools in for a soak - get it all.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the help! On my way out to brush.

9. Back To Top    #9

Watch for color changes, as the process goes on and keep us updated.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

10. Back To Top    #10

ok 1 hour later I have...

CYA- 35
    FC- 3.5
    CC- 10.5
    PH- 7.2
    TA- 120
    CH- 230

Still aiming for that 20 FC. Should I hit it again with 855 oz. of 6% ? And do I need to keep testing for TA & CH?

11. Back To Top    #11

First, please post lots of pics, cause yours is going to be a good one when it's done.

Now, to the bad news. Huge drop in FC and huge increase in CCs in that short of a time means lots of nitrogen in the pool, likely ammonia. Prepare yourself for lots and lots of bleach. This thread is a good example of how this might go. My point is not to scare you, but to prepare you.

Add the bleach, and test again in another hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Lee
    And do I need to keep testing for TA & CH?
    No. Shock levels of chlorine won't change them, so save the reagents until you're done. You can also stop checking pH until you're done as well. The test is inaccurate at high FC levels, and it also won't change enough during the process to worry about. It was fine when you started, so you can assume it will stay fine until you're done.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

12. Back To Top    #12

Yikes!!!! I'll try to take a picture after each test. I guess I'm on my way back to Costco well.
    [attachment=0:3a3u2km5]2nd pool pic.jpg[/attachment:3a3u2km5]

By the way, to the right of this picture is my empty dive stand and a broken 10' S.R. Smith diving board next to it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. Back To Top    #13

I found that 10% at Meijer is cheaper than 6% clorox at Sam's Club.

Try checking around for the best price since you will be using lots of chlorine. Think if you were to go in to a pool store, here try this $XXX worth of chemicals..

(it's actually not that expensive )
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]