Shock or test for metals?

Jun 10, 2011
Here is where I am now: after filling my pool this year the water was a brown dirty color. Thanks to our local pathetic water supply, they were working on the system when I filled, but I didn't realize this until the pool was halfway full. I didn't get a decent test kit (k2006) until a couple of days ago and the pool has been filled for 3 weeks now. At the start, I used up what strips I had left along with my Pentair test kit from Walmart. The stinking strips led me to add too much CYA to the pool (77 according to the store) so I drained and refilled about 1/3. My CYA was then and is now 60, which I can live with. When I took the sample to the store I was told to add Metal Magic to remove a fair amount of iron. They told me to add the whole bottle, even though the bottle label said the whole thing would treat 10,000 gallons (my pool is 5,455).

I added half the bottle the first day. It cleared a little but not completely, so I added the rest the second day. It cleared up perfectly after that for one day, but now has a greenish/yellowish tint. I tried running my FC up to 24 to shock according to the chart, but I've run out of reagent. Ordered more this morning.

I guess I'm wondering now if I should get more Metal Magic? The reason I ask is that my ladder has a good bit of rust on it. Could that be adding a large enough amount of iron to the water to keep it from sparkling? I don't want to keep dumping bleach if the iron is the problem. I noticed a stain on my ladder the other day and took a pic along with the pool so you can see the color I'm talking about. I don't know how to make my file sizes smaller right now, so I just attached the links them below.

Thanks for the help, and love the site!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2kebwhvfe3adsf7/Ladder

https://www.dropbox.com/s/utv13813q151qdh/Pool May 22

Sorry, just realized I didn't post my latest results.

FC - 19.6 (added chlorine to bring this level up to 24. Checked again last night, but ran out of reagent before test was complete.)
CC - 1
pH - 7.4
TA - 130
CYA - 60

Metals don't just go away nor do they filter out normally. Iron will sometimes precipitate out some, but there's enough left that you have to use maintenance doses as long as you have the water in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.