Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Throwing K-2006 test water back into the pool.

1. Back To Top    #1

Throwing K-2006 test water back into the pool.

I've always seen people do tests at the side of the pool and throw the tested water back into the pool, but I've read that you're not supposed to do this. It obviously makes sense that pouring the tested water and chemicals down a drain would be "best," but I'm still curious how much effect this practice can have on pool chemistry when doing the various tests with the Taylor K-2006 kit. It strikes me that I've never even seen any mention of this in the Taylor instructions, and I was always under the impression that this had a negligible effect on pool water. Are there certain tests in this kit that are worse than others when doing this?

Thanks,

Larry
    Los Angeles, CA -- 22K gallon in-ground plaster pool with spa, built around 1980, replastered around 2009-2010.
    Pentair Intelliflo VS (variable speed) pump and Quad 100 DE filter. Older "MiniMax" gas heater. Pentair Rebel cleaner.
    NO SWG - Liquid Cl only. Taylor K-2006 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Throwing K-2006 test water back into the pool.

Some of the reagents are poison and really shouldn't be put in the pool. However at the levels you're talking about it's probably not an issue.

Here are the msds for the chems in the kit.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by lalittle
    I've always seen people do tests at the side of the pool and throw the tested water back into the pool, but I've read that you're not supposed to do this. It obviously makes sense that pouring the tested water and chemicals down a drain would be "best," but I'm still curious how much effect this practice can have on pool chemistry when doing the various tests with the Taylor K-2006 kit. It strikes me that I've never even seen any mention of this in the Taylor instructions, and I was always under the impression that this had a negligible effect on pool water. Are there certain tests in this kit that are worse than others when doing this?

Thanks,

Larry
    5. Do not dispose of solutions in pool or spa.
    From K-2006 Test Kit instructions: http://www.taylortechnologies.com/pr...er&Number=5138
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Durk
    From K-2006 Test Kit instructions: http://www.taylortechnologies.com/pr...er&Number=5138
    Ah -- I hadn't seen that. I don't remember seeing that precaution in the printed instructions, and after a cursory look just now, I still didn't see it in the booklet. It could still be in there somewhere, but it might just be in the online instructions.

Unfortunately, it's not easy to tell all that much from the msds sheets since they tend to deal with worst case scenarios rather than with "real world" exposure. I kind of doubt that most people use the recommended lab coat, gloves, and safety goggles when testing their FC levels.

Thanks again,

Larry
    Los Angeles, CA -- 22K gallon in-ground plaster pool with spa, built around 1980, replastered around 2009-2010.
    Pentair Intelliflo VS (variable speed) pump and Quad 100 DE filter. Older "MiniMax" gas heater. Pentair Rebel cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

Why do it squatting uncomfortably? I use a chunk of PVC pipe as a giant pipette and fill a measuring cup with sample water. Then I carry it over to the patio table and run my tests at my leisure while sitting comfortably. The ashtray is optional, but having a smoke makes the CH test seem less lengthy.

Just be sure to keep the sample away from the coffee mug, they're easy to confuse when you aren't paying attention.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Why do it squatting uncomfortably? I use a chunk of PVC pipe as a giant pipette and fill a measuring cup with sample water.
    And all this time I've been getting flat on the ground, reaching down into the pool as far as I can, getting my shirt all wet... This is genius!
    34K gal IG, 37'x40' lagoon, vinyl, Pentair IntelliFlo VS Pump, 500# Hayward sand filter, Jandy SWG, Raypac heat pump, 4 deck jets, Hayward Super Pump + deck fountain, Dolphin Oasis Z5

7. Back To Top    #7

Look for the word "toxic" that's the ones you don't want to be throwing back into the pool! The DPD reagent is the biggest reason but I don't dump any of it into the pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Why do it on the patio table? Take the sample inside to a well lit room. I myself use a white poster board and test on that. The white makes it easy to see the color changes happen, and testing indoors will help the reagents last longer.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Leebo
    Why do it on the patio table? Take the sample inside to a well lit room. I myself use a white poster board and test on that. The white makes it easy to see the color changes happen, and testing indoors will help the reagents last longer.
    I don't smoke in the house, that's why!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

there you go
    If you don't smoke....test indoors.
    If you smoke....test outside.

11. Back To Top    #11

I test outdoors, too, but don't smoke. I just like to sit out on the patio near the pool. I have a white pad of paper that I use to write down my numbers and to see the pretty colors better.
    13500 gal 15x30 oval AG, Hayward DE filter

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by cillovely
    I test outdoors, too, but don't smoke. I just like to sit out on the patio near the pool. I have a white pad of paper that I use to write down my numbers and to see the pretty colors better.
    I do the same - except I record everything in my iPad - which makes a great light box / white background for seeing the colors.
    34K gal IG, 37'x40' lagoon, vinyl, Pentair IntelliFlo VS Pump, 500# Hayward sand filter, Jandy SWG, Raypac heat pump, 4 deck jets, Hayward Super Pump + deck fountain, Dolphin Oasis Z5

13. Back To Top    #13

I always test IN the pool. If the weather is bad, I just guess. I've been at this long enough that I never have a problem. Being in the pool makes things a lot easier. I use the white plastic skimmer cover as a background. Then I chuck the used test solutions through the fence into the field, never in the pool.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by lalittle
    Quote Originally Posted by Durk
    Ah -- I hadn't seen that. I don't remember seeing that precaution in the printed instructions, and after a cursory look just now, I still didn't see it in the booklet. It could still be in there somewhere, but it might just be in the online instructions.

Unfortunately, it's not easy to tell all that much from the msds sheets since they tend to deal with worst case scenarios rather than with "real world" exposure. I kind of doubt that most people use the recommended lab coat, gloves, and safety goggles when testing their FC levels.

Thanks again,

Larry
    I just got back from testing at the pool. You can find that sentence on the inside cover of your kit on the black stripe across the top. I took a quick look in the booklet and I don't think it's in there, but it is on the blue box.

15. Back To Top    #15

So now the question is: How bad is it that I was tossing everything back in the pool for nearly a year? Is there any risk of the toxic chemicals building up over time, or do they dissipate/breakdown? Is it worth draining some amount and refilling in order to dilute what's there? I was doing this for quite a while (as I said, close to a year), but I simply have no point of reference for how potentially bad things could be at this point.

Thanks again,

Larry

16. Back To Top    #16

Maybe Richard (Chem Geek) will see this and impart some of his knowledge about it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

I've always thought that chlorine will break down the reagents...I await the actual truth!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

18. Back To Top    #18

I do the same - except I record everything in my iPad - which makes a great light box / white background for seeing the colors.
    Do you use a specific app to keep track? I'd kind of like to do the same, since I have WiFi and can use the PoolCalc site on my iPad when I'm outside. (The app doesn't have very good reviews and doesn't retain the pool size, according to the reviews. )
    BBB/TFP/Taylor K-2006 Evangelist!
    6/13 - Installed AG Sharkline Heritage 21'x54" 11K gallons. Hayward 1660s sand filter, Hayward single-speed 1 hp pump; city water. Husband builds, I maintain.
    5/11 - Starter pool 6000-gallon Intex Ultra 16'x48" AG with standard 1500 gph 1/3 hp cartridge filter.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_k
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Why do it squatting uncomfortably? I use a chunk of PVC pipe as a giant pipette and fill a measuring cup with sample water.
    And all this time I've been getting flat on the ground, reaching down into the pool as far as I can, getting my shirt all wet... This is genius!
    I'm 5' nothing and have to stand on tiptoe to shove my arm way down into the pool... I'm going to have to Bogart a length of DH's PVC for this purpose.
    BBB/TFP/Taylor K-2006 Evangelist!
    6/13 - Installed AG Sharkline Heritage 21'x54" 11K gallons. Hayward 1660s sand filter, Hayward single-speed 1 hp pump; city water. Husband builds, I maintain.
    5/11 - Starter pool 6000-gallon Intex Ultra 16'x48" AG with standard 1500 gph 1/3 hp cartridge filter.

20. Back To Top    #20

Hello all~~

I test year round. I take the sample from a sampling station on the equipment pad. All the testing gets done inside in the brightly lighted white kitchen, which gives me the same conditions day or night, sunny or raining....

The remains go down the drain with water running to dilute.

Lana
    23,600 gallon, refurbished 1960's inground concrete, Jandy sand filter w Jandy 2 hp variable speed pump, Pool Pilot Digital SWCG+Chemtrol 2100+CO2 tank; PebbleTec White Pearl with 10% Cobalt Blue Dark Beadcrete by Olympic Pool Plastering, Georgia. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit; Aqua Check Salt test; LaMotte borates test, and Jack's Magic Sequest test kit; SparklyPoolitis level: extremely high.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast