Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Taylor FAS-DPD CC test - waiting 2 minutes produces pink.

1. Back To Top    #1

Taylor FAS-DPD CC test - waiting 2 minutes produces pink.

I recently noticed that with the combined chlorine phase of the Taylor FAS-DPD test, even though the immediate results of adding/swirling show no pink, if I wait 2 full minutes after adding the 5 drops of R-0003 the water eventually turns a bit pink. I'm not sure how to interpret this. Does this mean that there is actually some CC, but that it takes some time to show up and that I should add this waiting period to the testing, or does this mean that waiting too long after adding the R-0003 will produce inaccurate results?

Thanks,

Larry
    Los Angeles, CA -- 22K gallon in-ground plaster pool with spa, built around 1980, replastered around 2009-2010.
    Pentair Intelliflo VS (variable speed) pump and Quad 100 DE filter. Older "MiniMax" gas heater. Pentair Rebel cleaner.
    NO SWG - Liquid Cl only. Taylor K-2006 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Taylor FAS-DPD CC test - waiting 2 minutes produces pink

The FAS-DPD test will always turn pink if you leave it sitting around after completing the test. That doesn't mean anything. You want to do the test reasonably quickly, no coffee breaks in the middle , waiting around too long will invalidate the results.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Taylor FAS-DPD CC test - waiting 2 minutes produces pink

Thanks -- that's the information I was looking for. I discovered this effect accidentally, so I just wanted to confirm that the results after waiting at that phase weren't the "real" results.

Larry
    Los Angeles, CA -- 22K gallon in-ground plaster pool with spa, built around 1980, replastered around 2009-2010.
    Pentair Intelliflo VS (variable speed) pump and Quad 100 DE filter. Older "MiniMax" gas heater. Pentair Rebel cleaner.
    NO SWG - Liquid Cl only. Taylor K-2006 test kit.