New to Forum and Pool Ownership

May 20, 2012
Hi all, so glad I found your site. Just had our pool put in during last fall and opened it about a month ago. I was following pool stores recommendations, until I found your site. We live in South Lebanon, Ohio, jut north of Cincinnati. Have a 20x40 rectangle vinyl pool with 8 foot deep end and 3 foot shallow end. Sand filter, pump running 24/7, automatic chlorination set at 3 using 1" trichlor tabs. Just received the test kit recommended here and this is my first test results.

FC 12
CC 0.5
TA 180
CYA 50
Calcium 320, did the method for copper, since I put algecide with copper in about 2 weeks ago, stopped after green hair and reading this site.
Ph between 7.5 and 7.7

Pool water looks great. How do these numbers look? Do I need to run the pump 24/7 (pool store recommendation)?

Thanks for the advice.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Your #'s and description of your water are kinda impressive for a newbie :wink:

Stop using the chlorinator and switch to bleach/liquid chlorine - or you will soon have an overstabilized pool. You are at the top of the recommended CYA level of 50 now.

You can let the FC drift down to around 6, but never below 4.

When you did the TA test, did you wipe the dropper between drops?

NO, you do not need to run the pump 24/7! Start with about 12 hrs. daily and check. You can dial it in from there. Example, I run my pump about 8 or 9 hours daily.