New Pump & Filter - Re-plumbing Pad Questions

SteveK

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Sep 14, 2007
Central NJ
Hi everyone,
I've replaced my old pump/filter combo with a new Pentair Intelliflo VS and a Hayward Swimclear (425sq ft).
Taking the opportunity to increase the equipment pad area and re-plumb the spaghetti-like maze of PVC pipes into manifolds with individual 2-way Jandy Neverlube values on each in/out line.

The electrical lines and control panels (intermatic mechanical timer and Goldline SWCG) have been moved about 6 feet away. Pad size will increase from 2'x3' to 3'x4'.

I do have a couple of questions:
1. Previously had a sand filter w/multi-port valve. While closing the pool, I blew out the returns, main drain, and skimmers using a shop vac. My pool has a Paramount system with bottom returns and I opened the water valve housing giving access to the returns and intakes. That valve housing will remain in-place after re-plumbing. The question is -- will there be any issue blowing air back through the SwimClear cartridge filter (either too much or too little air pressure/volume) or should I add a filter by-pass and engage that bypass during winterization?
2. One point of the re-plumbing is to increase the size of pad plumbing to 2" (lines going back to pool are all 1.5") and eliminate lots of 90's and 45's to improve flow & reduce headloss. Hayward has flipped the inlet/outlet connections on the latest SwimClear line; in setting the equipment on the pad yesterday, I see that the filter inlet is actually LOWER than the output of the Intelliflo. :cry:
Keeping the improved flow/reduced head-loss objective in mind, what option/recommendation to handle the lower inlet? I'm thinking of three possibilities listed in my perceived preference: a) raise the filter onto concrete blocks (will give 8" additional height to filter), b) add 2 45-degree elbows between pump outlet and filter inlet to create an 'S' down to the proper height (should have sufficient room to do this now with pad expansion), c) use some PVC flex tubing (black/clear/white?) to connect from pump to filter.

I'd appreciate any input or suggestions, especially if anyone has used the new Hayward cart filters with the Intelliflo.

Thanks,
SteveK

A lot of this depends on just how strongly you feel about getting everything "perfect" in terms of efficiency. Your various options in point 2 are going to differ by small fractions of a percent in efficiency, not enough for most people to worry about. I'd go with two 45s as it is simple. But if you want to be super efficient you want a very gentle S like curve.

Blowing the lines through the cartridge filter is fine.

Thanks for responding on both questions, Jason.

Using the 45's would be simple. Any reason you didn't go with raising the filter? It would also be simple -- two 8x12x16 concrete blocks would provide a stable base of sufficient size and would eliminate the need for the 45's altogether. I'm really not interested in the flex route.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.