Low CH will stretch liner

kkpjm

May 23, 2011
Quakertown PA
New Leslie's opened up in town...I needed a new filter drain gasket, and figured I check out the water testing service. First test showed my total dissolved solids was too high...around 2700. Then I reminded the guy that I had a SWG. He said it didn't make any difference, that I should drain some of the water becasue dissolved solids were no good. I went home.

Today I stopped in again to let them test the water...filter has been running for two days after doing some adjustments. Needs a little bit of shock yet, but overall we're good now. Different guy says nothing about the TDS becasue it has a SWG...

BUT... the tester and the boss behind him both say that my CH of 110 is way too low. I remind them that it's a vinyl pool and I don't worry about CH. The boss tells me that too low CH will make the liner shrink. Pardon the swimming pool pun, but does this comment "hold water"?? I've never heard that before.

Methinks it's time to buy my own tester...the taylor one they have on the shelf.

Well at least they were consistently inconsistent. They all got something wrong.

Low CH will not make your liner shrink if it did mine would be the size of a kiddie pool by now, as I have almost zero CH.

At least the second guys were smart enough not to say anything about the TDS.

If that kit is the one with the FAS-DPD chlorine test, you'd be way better off getting it and doing your own testing. Make sure it's FAS-DPD and not just DPD. It really makes a difference. A lot of people have bought the wrong kit because the pool store told them it was the same, but it's not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.