Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Low CH will stretch liner

1. Back To Top    #1

Low CH will stretch liner

New Leslie's opened up in town...I needed a new filter drain gasket, and figured I check out the water testing service. First test showed my total dissolved solids was too high...around 2700. Then I reminded the guy that I had a SWG. He said it didn't make any difference, that I should drain some of the water becasue dissolved solids were no good. I went home.

Today I stopped in again to let them test the water...filter has been running for two days after doing some adjustments. Needs a little bit of shock yet, but overall we're good now. Different guy says nothing about the TDS becasue it has a SWG...

BUT... the tester and the boss behind him both say that my CH of 110 is way too low. I remind them that it's a vinyl pool and I don't worry about CH. The boss tells me that too low CH will make the liner shrink. Pardon the swimming pool pun, but does this comment "hold water"?? I've never heard that before.

Methinks it's time to buy my own tester...the taylor one they have on the shelf.
    20x44x8 Cardinal vinyl IGP, 33000 gal, 2 hp Mustang, 60 SF CrystalWater DE, Zodiac LM3 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Low CH will stretch liner

Well at least they were consistently inconsistent. They all got something wrong.

Low CH will not make your liner shrink if it did mine would be the size of a kiddie pool by now, as I have almost zero CH.

At least the second guys were smart enough not to say anything about the TDS.

If that kit is the one with the FAS-DPD chlorine test, you'd be way better off getting it and doing your own testing. Make sure it's FAS-DPD and not just DPD. It really makes a difference. A lot of people have bought the wrong kit because the pool store told them it was the same, but it's not.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Definitely time to buy. I think they were trying to sell you something.
    18'x48" AG
    Pentair 1 1/2 HP Dynamo Pump
    Sand Dollar Sand Filter w/ Zeobrite
    Lil Shark Vacuum System
    Hard Plumbed

4. Back To Top    #4

OK, then there's not some new government study saying CH is needed for a vinyl liner. It's just Leslie trying to sell me 53 pounds of "Hardness Plus". I knew that.
    20x44x8 Cardinal vinyl IGP, 33000 gal, 2 hp Mustang, 60 SF CrystalWater DE, Zodiac LM3 SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

Check TFTestkits' price before you buy their kit. You may be able to save some money and deal with a great guy at the same time. http://tftestkits.net/Test-Kits-c4/
    16x32 Oval In-ground Vinyl, ~17,000 gallons, Hayward 1hp Superpump, Hayward S245T Sand Filter

Worn out sand? sand-filter-expert-help-t30049.html
    Drain the easy way: cyanuric-acid-blues-draining-pool-t43843.html
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html , pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock , pool-school/shocking_your_pool

6. Back To Top    #6

That's a great price for the K2006...I never checked the price list before. Thanks much!