Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Are all Bleaches equal?

1. Back To Top    #1

Are all Bleaches equal?

Being new to BBB, I am really shopping around for bleach deals. Here is my dilemma. Clorox which states on the bottle as 6% looked good. The MSDS says only 5.85% usable chlorine? Which number do I go by?

Generics - Looked at the generics and found some great deals. Best one being at the local grocery store 182 oz $249. It clamed 6%. Other generics they hand were cheaper but did not list the concentration. Grrrr. This was true for all the dollar stores, Walmart, lowes, and the Depot, even some Clorox bottles did not list concentration. So.. I look up MSDS's to try and find out. Clorox says between 5 - 10% ??? Is this because I guy might turn a valve at different times effecting the concentration?

I could not track down the generic MSDS's yet but I'm looking.

Can anyone shed some light? There are some great deals out there but I am not buying unless I know what I'm getting. Comments?
    Dave S
    24x52" Round AGP
    Hayward S244T 300 pound sand 1 HP matrix pump
    Taylor K-2005 Test kit with the K-1515-A FAS-DPD added on.
    No one is useless, you can always serve as a bad example!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Are all Bleaches equal?

The general rule of thumb is that if the label doesn't list the % concentration, stay away from it.

6% is the number you should go by and the strength you want unless it's just not available where you are.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

And I learned that rule of thumb just the other day. I usually hit up Lowe's if I'm not by Aldi, where bleach is supreme el cheapo. Lowe's decided for some stupid reason to discontinue carrying their 182 oz. house brand, which was 2.49. Instead, they replaced it with some overstock 128 oz. brand called Cloralex. Direct from Mexico. Nothing wrong with that, but I bought it anyway. No info on the label, so I looked up the MSDS after I dumped it in the pool. 5%.
    Kansas City, MO
    13500 gallon Foxx vinyl sport pool--inground (1988)
    Cristal-Flo sand filter
    Ray-Pak 406A digital
    1.5 HP single speed
    400 gallon Heldor inground spa, octagon

4. Back To Top    #4

My own personal experience is that Walmart's own brand or Sam's Club, or even Costco has the best deals on bleach. Don't buy any bleach from Dollar stores, they're usually old and have lost most of their strength. Also make sure you don't use the thick bleach or anything scented. I've never looked at the MSDS for the bleach, but if it says 6% on the bottle then you should be fine. If you can find store bought bleach at 10% that's ok too, just make sure you're accounting for that when you add it, or switch it in the pool calculator. You can also buy liquid bleach from pool stores at higher percentages and that can be more economical for some people.
    15' wide x30' long x 4.5' deep vinyl above ground, 13,500 gallons, hayward dream line sand filter, hayward power-flo lx pump 1.0 hp, lil shark cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Are all Bleaches equal?

Using the MSDS is not that reliable as you see from the "5 to 10%" quote. This document is meant as a safety factor for industrial use to communicate to workers what they are using and how they should handle it, what to do if exposed, etc. the range is acceptable for that use.

The 6% or other indications on the bottle are consumer information and approximate figures for that purpose. Chemicals such as this are made in large quantities and packaged from that large tank.

For our puposes, the big issue is knowing the difference in 6%, 12%, other %, or not indicated.
    17 x 32 feet in-ground - 22,500 gallons - Vinyl liner
    Haywood sand filter (Model TBD) - Pump (TBD)
    Hot Spring spa
    Total noob...

6. Back To Top    #6

A couple of things to keep in mind, first bleach looses strength as it ages, so always buy fresh, not that left over spring clearance "12%" from the pool store, because it is likely not 12% anymore. Next it seems most reputable brands will account for this so fresh bleach may be higher than advertised in concentration so it does not drop down below the advertised amount during its shelf life. Also 5.25% bleach and 6% bleach can be the same thing, just being measured differently (% by weight, or % by volume, I forget which way is which, some of the better labelled ones will tell you listing it both ways in the fine print).
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

I did notice Clorox recommends replacing your bleach after 1 year lol. I don't think I will have that issue
    Dave S
    24x52" Round AGP
    Hayward S244T 300 pound sand 1 HP matrix pump
    Taylor K-2005 Test kit with the K-1515-A FAS-DPD added on.
    No one is useless, you can always serve as a bad example!