Sand vs Chlorine

May 22, 2012
We bought a 18'x48" Ultra Frame pool last year. We are using the filter pump that came with the pool...1500 GPH filter pump. Last year we had problems keeping the chemical levels at the right amount and keeping the pool clean. We run the pump an average of 12 hours a day and test the water every day. It seems like once I get the chemicals amounts right the next day they will be off again. This is costing me a lot of money! Also I would use the vacuum that came with the pool at least every other day to clean the dirt off the bottom of the pool. Someday I could attach the hose and it would start sucking right away....other days not so simple. Some days I would spend a couple hours trying to get it to suck and it never would. Therefore, this year I would like to upgrade my pump. My question is...do I need to get a bigger pump that I use chlorine and other chemicals in or buy a sand filter and pump?? What do you all recommend??

Thanks in advance!

Ashley

Welcome to TFP. :wave:

You're always going to need chlorine no matter what type filter you have. It's the most consumable item in a pool, you have to replenish it every day. You should start by spending some time in Pool School. Start with the basics and work from there.

The 2650 gph pump and sand filter is a good unit and lot of people upgrade to it because it works much better than the one you have now.

First I want to say welcome, and hang around this is a great place, second read pool school (link in the upper right of each page here ), it will answer most of your questions about types of pump, filters, basic pool chemicals, etc. Once you get through with that we will have a much better frame of reference to talk about your pool needs and particular options for an upgrade.

Ike

Lets work on the terminology a little bit so we're all speaking the same language.

What you have is a cartridge filter and a pump that's capable of delivering 1500 gallons per hour under ideal conditions. So you have two pieces of equipment. They're just on the same base.
Your filter uses a filter cartridge to filter the water and you have to change it out whenever it gets dirty.
The 2650 sand filter pump combo has a filter that uses sand as it's filter medium and you just backwash it whenever it gets dirty so there's nothing to throw away. It also has a pump that's capable of moving 2650 gallons per hour on the same base.
Then there is the Salt Water Chlorine Generator (swcg). It produces chlorine from salt water in your pool. It's a separate unit most of the time but they do sell it with a pump on the same base. They also sell a combo unit that has all three devices on one base. Pump, sand filter & swcg. It's best to get the pump/sand filter combo and get the swcg separately.

I hope I've made it a little clearer. I'm sure I've alos raised more questions and feel free to ask them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.