Need help with the CH test

Jun 18, 2010
I don't trust myself on the CH test. I put the 20 drops in, and then the 5 drops, and it just SLIGHTLY turns pink, not red. Then, after 20 drops of the next bottle, it is the slightest pale blue (but that might be the sky, or me hoping). I went up to 50 drops and it didn't change, and I stopped wasting my test kit.
Could I have no calcium at all?

My pH is 7.2, FC is 5, CYA is 50, by the way. This is with the 100 test kit from this board.

gsxrken said:
I don't trust myself on the CH test. I put the 20 drops in, and then the 5 drops, and it just SLIGHTLY turns pink, not red. Then, after 20 drops of the next bottle, it is the slightest pale blue (but that might be the sky, or me hoping). I went up to 50 drops and it didn't change, and I stopped wasting my test kit.
Could I have no calcium at all?

My pH is 7.2, FC is 5, CYA is 50, by the way. This is with the 100 test kit from this board.
It depends on where you live, and what is the water source. If you're in California, Nevada, or Arizona, you probably have incredibly high CH. On the other hand, if the fill water goes through a softener or is rainwater, you could have none.

If you think you may have hard water, and you'll know it by the spotted glassware and the scale on the showerhead, you might try the test the way I do it.

Use a 10ml sample. Add 5 drops of r-0012 first and swirl it for a minute, or one full cycle on the speedstir. Then 10 drops of R-0010, mix it good, then add the R-0011. Instructions say 3 drops, but I've been using 5 because it makes the color darker. (And my readings haven't changed since I started doing that) Then add more of the R-0012. Plan to spend 15- 20 minutes on this test, unless you have a speedstir. Even then, it will take close to that. It will turn purple at some point, keep swirling at least a minute between drops, because sometimes it stalls and just needs more mixing to turn sky blue. It will turn blue, not just purple, if you give it enough time and mixing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.