Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need help with the CH test

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help with the CH test

I don't trust myself on the CH test. I put the 20 drops in, and then the 5 drops, and it just SLIGHTLY turns pink, not red. Then, after 20 drops of the next bottle, it is the slightest pale blue (but that might be the sky, or me hoping). I went up to 50 drops and it didn't change, and I stopped wasting my test kit.
    Could I have no calcium at all?

My pH is 7.2, FC is 5, CYA is 50, by the way. This is with the 100 test kit from this board.
    24k gallon inground with 500 gallon spa, 580sqft Jandy cartridge filter, Jandy ePump 2HP variable speed pump, Jandy 1400 SWG AquaCal Heat Pump, Diamondbrite Aqua Quartz plaster

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need help with the CH test

Check out the Extended Test Kit directions here. It has a couple different ways to do the tests. Maybe the faded endpoint will help.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Need help with the CH test

Quote Originally Posted by gsxrken
    I don't trust myself on the CH test. I put the 20 drops in, and then the 5 drops, and it just SLIGHTLY turns pink, not red. Then, after 20 drops of the next bottle, it is the slightest pale blue (but that might be the sky, or me hoping). I went up to 50 drops and it didn't change, and I stopped wasting my test kit.
    Could I have no calcium at all?

My pH is 7.2, FC is 5, CYA is 50, by the way. This is with the 100 test kit from this board.
    It depends on where you live, and what is the water source. If you're in California, Nevada, or Arizona, you probably have incredibly high CH. On the other hand, if the fill water goes through a softener or is rainwater, you could have none.

If you think you may have hard water, and you'll know it by the spotted glassware and the scale on the showerhead, you might try the test the way I do it.

Use a 10ml sample. Add 5 drops of r-0012 first and swirl it for a minute, or one full cycle on the speedstir. Then 10 drops of R-0010, mix it good, then add the R-0011. Instructions say 3 drops, but I've been using 5 because it makes the color darker. (And my readings haven't changed since I started doing that) Then add more of the R-0012. Plan to spend 15- 20 minutes on this test, unless you have a speedstir. Even then, it will take close to that. It will turn purple at some point, keep swirling at least a minute between drops, because sometimes it stalls and just needs more mixing to turn sky blue. It will turn blue, not just purple, if you give it enough time and mixing.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!