Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Out Of Round PVC Advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Out Of Round PVC Advice

I need some advice. I had to disconnect a leaky, very old heater, and needed to do some replumbing. Unfortunately, I have a pool return line that is 1 1/2 inch PVC that is to oval to fit a coupling over.

I would definitely cut and replace if I could. There is about 10" sticking out of the ground, and all of it is oval. The rest goes about 50 ft under dirt, mulch, and concrete to the pool jets.

I need to connect to it somehow.

I have a few ideas, what do you think would be the best option?

1. C-Clamp it until it rounds (And hopefully not break it, since I don't have much length to cut back off)
    2. C-Clamp is more gently, but assist with a heat gun or hair dryer (Would this affect the bond?)
    3. Mission clamp. The return line is after the filter, and about 8 feet above the pool return jets, so it is technically "low pressure"
    4. Your suggestion here!

15K IG Fiberglass
    IC40 + Easytouch + Superflow 1 HP
    Sherlok 120
    Rusted out Laars Lite (Needs replacement)

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Out Of Round PVC Advice

Welcome to TFP!

I would dig down a ways around where the pipe goes into the ground and see if it becomes round underground anywhere near there.

You can reshape PVC pipe with a heat gun/hair dryer but it is very tricky to get it to go back to round. A mission clamp would work for a while, but would not last nearly as long as everything else will.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School