Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt Water Pool & Correct start-up #'s

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt Water Pool & Correct start-up #'s

I am new to owning a pool and to this discussion board. I have already found a large number of wonderful and helpful posts! Thank you!

Yesterday, I became very confused...
    I did me research, found all the correct pool balancing #'s from the manuals that I received and bought a Taylor K-2005 test kit.

This is what the manuals told me was ideal:
    Salt ppm: 3200
    Free Chlorine: 1 to 3
    pH: 7.2 to 7.8
    Cyanuric Acid: 80 to 120
    Total Alkalinity: 80 to 120
    Calcium Hardness: 220 to 320

I tested to pool and here are my numbers:
    Salt ppm: 3100
    Free Chlorine: 5
    pH: 7.0
    Cyanuric Acid: 10
    Total Alkalinity: 30
    Calcium Hardness: 110

So, I figured my numbers are way off, so I went to a Leslie Pools in my area and had them test the water and point me in the right direction on what I need for my pool. Here are their numbers:

Salt ppm: 3600
    Free Chlorine: 5
    pH: 7.2
    Cyanuric Acid: 10
    Total Alkalinity: 50
    Calcium Hardness: 100

What came next was a surprise... They (Leslie Pools) told me everything was great an I didn't need a thing! When I ran the numbers to check the saturation index I was -2.9! Should I be worried or will the pool self balance itself like the guy said.

Thank you in advanced.

Leisure Pools, Moroccan 31: 15,000 Gallons (Fiberglass)
    Pentair IntelliFlo Pool Pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite SWG
    Installed: 5/2011

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Salt Water Pool & Correct start-up #'s

Welcome to TFP!

You should take a look at our recommended levels, see the article in Pool School.

There are several different systems of pool care in the world, but I don't know of any system where you TA is good where it is. I wouldn't raise it very much, but do raise TA to at least 60, perhaps 70. Likewise, for use with a SWG you want your CYA between 70 and 80. Increasing your CH is also recommended, but not as important as the other two.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School