Would this be a good used pool to buy?

nelson411

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 5, 2011
Northern California
Hi all,

:goodjob: I've gotten so many wonderful suggestions from everyone here on what kind of pool to get. Most have suggested getting a used pool. So I'm scouring CL when I can, and I found a possible pool to look at.
I wanted to hear any feedback from you all before I drive out (an hour) to see it.
Here is the Ad from CL: :?:

I need to sell our 12x24 foot Doughboy pool. This is an awesome pool, steel construction (built to last that is, not like the flimsy ones at Costco) I purchased it (for ALOT more than I am selling it for now), and disassembled it from our friends back yard, 3 years ago. (They had set it up, and used it for 3 years previously) ...
This pool comes with a liner, which has been stored in our garage, (although I have to admit, it has been rolled up, and I see a hole. I asked a dealer about it, and he said there is a patching kit you can purchase)
It also has the pump, filter, and everything needed, including detailed Pool assembly and installation instructions! And, like I said, i'ts disassembled and ready to load in your truck!
$500

What kind of questions should I ask before seeing it? :?

I'm concerned about the pool being stored for so long, and wonder how that might affect it.
I asked about the name of the pool, and she didn't know, but knew it was a doughboy.

Any feedback would be great! :whoot:

Cheers,

Liz :wave:

(so glad the grading is over, and now I can spend all of my time obsessing about pools while the kids are still in school!) :hammer:

The only thing I can tell you about Doughboy pools is that I installed one at my parents house in 1989 and it's still there. I would be prepared to replace the liner. The one I installed was a 12x24 as well and required some pretty serious bracing on the side walls. I had to dig out areas along the sides of the pool to bury cinder blocks that supported and braced the side wall supports.

Make sure all the pieces are there. Be prepared to do some rust removal/conversion. You will have to buy a new liner. Try and layout the pool in your backyard with a hose to help visualize what it will look/feel like 12X24 is not a real large pool (LOL I only have an 18') and is almost as much work to setup as a larger pool. Try http://www.searchtempest.com to look on craigslist in a larger area!

If the pool is in good condition, no rust through, no missing parts it should be a good deal. If you go out to look at it, let the owner know in advance that you will want to unroll the pool to look at the side walls. Check the walls for rust through and long horizontal creases or signs of crumpling and pass on the pool if it has them. Use the installation guide to check that the parts are all there. Also see if there is a Doughboy dealer convenient to you in case you do need to get any replacement parts.

You will need a new liner. I wouldn't even try to install the old one. It has been out of the water a long time so it probably has shrunk and become brittle, plus you would have a heck of a time trying to get the skimmer and return holes to line up correctly.

Also make sure you have enough space in your yard. For a 12x24 pool you will need 14x26 space that does not encroach on easements that you can level without too much difficulty. Marking the layout with spray paint or flour will help you see if you will be happy with a pool that size and if it will fit where you want in the yard.

mcoonan,
Thanks for the tips! :goodjob:
I will check out that website. :)

I figured we would need a new liner. Would I have to buy a doughboy liner? When I was looking at the dealer, they were big on that idea. Probably a sales thing?
:bump:
mcconan: 12X24 is not a real large pool (LOL I only have an 18') and is almost as much work to setup as a larger pool.
I wish we could go larger, but that is the biggest pool that will fit into our dinky backyard.
I know what you mean about the amount of work. Our pools over the past years have grown in size, like a goldfish grows to the size of it's bowl. We started with a 5 foot wide intex, then a 9 foot, then last year a 14 foot! :mrgreen:

Off to search that website. :)

Thanks,

Hi zea3!

Great tips! I never would have thought of what to look for. This forum is the best! :lovetfp:

Use the installation guide to check that the parts are all there. Also see if there is a Doughboy dealer convenient to you in case you do need to get any replacement parts.
They say they have the guide, so that is good news. However, the dealer is kind of snooty, for some reason. I saw them give someone a difficult time for getting parts for a pool they didn't purchase from them. I can handle them, but will have to use my swat team negotiating tactics! :blah:

Also make sure you have enough space in your yard. For a 12x24 pool you will need 14x26 space that does not encroach on easements that you can level without too much difficulty.
Good point. I'll check with the city guidelines. We have the space, but I don't know what is code for our little town. :scratch:

Marking the layout with spray paint or flour will help you see if you will be happy with a pool that size and if it will fit where you want in the yard.
Like the flour idea! We have a lot since neither of us do much baking! Rather be baking in the sun by our new pool! :clown:
Looks like we will need at least good hour to look over the pool. What tools should I bring along, if any.

thanks again! :party:

Is a crease in a wall a deal killer if there is no rust? Just asking because shadebuilder (who has been referenced here before as having good info so I hope this is not against the rules), has said you can bang them out and the pool will be fine. Just asking of course and still learning.

I purchased a used pool a few years back. It was twice as old as the one you're looking at. It was a Lomart brand pool, which I'm told is just a doughboy in disguise. Actual parts were hard to come by, probably because of it's age, but I made due and did some structural fixin' up as I couldn't get parts. My trials and tribulations were recorded with lots of pics. buying-a-used-agp-t16890.html You'll need some time to go through all 275 posts though.

Like everyone else has said, chuck the liner and get a new one. I also found that the installation manual had parts listed that weren't even used, and didn't even have an actual place for them! So buying a pool that's already torn down may or may not match what's in the installation manual. That was my experience though, your mileage may vary, and the manuals may have gotten better since mine was printed. At the very least make sure you have the same amounts of verticals as you do top and bottom plates and top caps. Those could be hard to come by... maybe not since it's a newer pool though.

Whatever you do, have fun with it, and post lots of pics!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Kias,

What a great job you did with pool!! I just had to go through and see the photos! What a beautiful place, beautiful pool, and beautiful kids! :bowdown: :bowdown:

I don't think me and my DH had the know-it-all or the energy to do what you did! Amazing! :goodjob:

I found out that someone else got the pool I was looking at. So back to square one. :(

Thanks for your help! :-D

They say they have the guide, so that is good news. However, the dealer is kind of snooty, for some reason. I saw them give someone a difficult time for getting parts for a pool they didn't purchase from them. I can handle them, but will have to use my swat team negotiating tactics!

Sometimes it can be the attitude that you bring into the store that can cause the issue. I watched a parts person at the pool store give a customer attitude after the customer tore into the parts person for something that he could not have done anything about (defective new pump motor). That parts person then turned to me and was super helpful, and even lost a sale to me for a large patch kit and suggested that I use shower pan liner and glue to make up my inlet and skimmer surrounds. Turned out alot cheaper and stronger.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.