Dead Critter in skimmer - shock?

Bent6

May 12, 2012
Jackson, TN
Found a small mole in my skimmer this evening. I've always been advised to "triple shock" in this case by the pool store.

Do I need to shock?

Is there shock method other than raising the FC sky high? Is traditional non-chlorinated shock/oxidizer OK?

I wouldn't get too worked up about it if your chlorine level is where it should be and the mole had not been in there more than 24 hours or so. If you're worried you can shock using the Pool School instructions.

IF your FC and CC are within range I would not worry about shocking. I find moles, frogs and other small critters in my skimmer from time to time and unless I have neglected to check the skimmer for days it has not been an issue. It's when they sit in there for days that I pay the price and have to shock.

If it makes you feel better raise the pool to shock level overnight, mustard shock level if you are really anxious. "Triple shock level" is crazy. Usually you only need to shock if serious decomposition has set in before discovery.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.