Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dead Critter in skimmer - shock?

1. Back To Top    #1

Jackson, TN

Dead Critter in skimmer - shock?

Found a small mole in my skimmer this evening. I've always been advised to "triple shock" in this case by the pool store.

Do I need to shock?

Is there shock method other than raising the FC sky high? Is traditional non-chlorinated shock/oxidizer OK?
    In-ground, vinyl pool, 26,000 gals
    Hayward Sand Filter, Aquarite SWG, Hayward Ecostar Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dead Critter in skimmer - shock?

I wouldn't get too worked up about it if your chlorine level is where it should be and the mole had not been in there more than 24 hours or so. If you're worried you can shock using the Pool School instructions.
    16x32 Oval In-ground Vinyl, ~17,000 gallons, Hayward 1hp Superpump, Hayward S245T Sand Filter

Worn out sand? sand-filter-expert-help-t30049.html
    Drain the easy way: cyanuric-acid-blues-draining-pool-t43843.html , pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock , pool-school/shocking_your_pool

3. Back To Top    #3

Lynchburg VA

IF your FC and CC are within range I would not worry about shocking. I find moles, frogs and other small critters in my skimmer from time to time and unless I have neglected to check the skimmer for days it has not been an issue. It's when they sit in there for days that I pay the price and have to shock.
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4
    Houston, Texas

If it makes you feel better raise the pool to shock level overnight, mustard shock level if you are really anxious. "Triple shock level" is crazy. Usually you only need to shock if serious decomposition has set in before discovery.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Huntsville, AL

We found a small mouse last week in our pool. I did not shock and swam 2 days later. I am still here to talk about it!
    16 x 32 inground with Tara Liner, 1 skimmer, 3 returns,
    1HP Hayward Super Pump
    Hayward Sand Filter
    Polaris 280 w booster pump
    Hayward SWG & Aqua Plus
    k-2006 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Charlotte, NC

If you're worried about a mole in your pool being dangerous be sure to never swim in any lake or ocean again.
    8000 gallon outdoor inground vinyl. Sand filter, Hayward 1HP.