Wiring issue Hayward SwimPure Plus with Hayward EcoStar pump

May 22, 2012
I recently bought a house with an inground pool. Everything had to be replaced (pump, filter, etc.) since it hadn't been used in some time. I decided to go with a SWG. Bought the Hayward SwimPure Plus and a Hayward EcoStar (variable speed pump). Instructions for wiring the SwimPure say to wire it up to your timer since it can only run when your pump is running. I don't have a timer. The EcoStar has built in controls and timers. The instructions give options to wire the SwimPure up to Goldline, Pentair, and Polaris controls........which I also don't have. I'm new to this so I could easily be missing something simple. Do I also wire the SwimPure up to it's own breaker? If so...20amp? And...what is the point of the flow switch for the SwimPure? Figured that would activate the unit once it saw flow...???? Would really appreciate any help anyone may give.

Re: Wiring issue Hayward SwimPure Plus with Hayward EcoStar

Welcome to TFP!

Running the SWG without water flow runs a small risk of an explosion, so installs are normally designed to prevent that from ever happening in several different ways. For example the flow switch will turn off the SWG when there is no flow, and the timer (if you had a normal timer) will also turn off the SWG when the pump is off. Flow switches are not all that reliable, so it is unwise to depend on the flow switch alone.

You have a couple of choices. You could get a separate timer just for the SWG and program it to correspond to the EcoStar programming. Or you can install a current sensing relay to only turn on the SWG when it senses the pump drawing power.

I'm in exactly this same situation and want to revive this thread with additional questions.

1) What type of current sensing relay would you recommend?
2) Could I just daisy chain the Salt Generator off the load side of the EcoStar? The Line and Load terminals are visible right under the housing cover. Why not tap the load side for the salt generator? Reasons this might be a bad idea: (1) If the EcoStar adjusts the motor speed by reducing voltage on the load side, but I can't imagine that would be the case (2) The EcoStar can't handle the current draw of the motor plus the salt generator - I have no idea how much current the salt generator draws.
3) Rely on the flow sensor. Probably a bad idea in case the flow sensor gets stuck somewhere in the future.
4) Intermatic timer - I do NOT want to do this option since I'll have to be responsible for manually keeping it in sync with the built-in EcoStar timer whenever the power goes out -- or if the Intermatic is not keeping time quite the same as the EcoStar

Someone else must have run into this. What have others done?

Thanks!

Definitely don't wire your salt system into your ecostar. You're asking for a voided warranty on both units and there really isn't an easy way to do it if there even is one. I've had a number of customers accept the risk that comes along with powering the unit all the time and letting the flow switch turn the system on and off. I don't recommend it, but some people don't want to spend the extra money and I haven't had any issues since we've started using the VS pumps(4-5 years). In my opinion, automation is that answer. Get a unit that controls everything and you dont have to worry about it.

thepoolman said:
Definitely don't wire your salt system into your ecostar. You're asking for a voided warranty on both units and there really isn't an easy way to do it if there even is one. I've had a number of customers accept the risk that comes along with powering the unit all the time and letting the flow switch turn the system on and off. I don't recommend it, but some people don't want to spend the extra money and I haven't had any issues since we've started using the VS pumps(4-5 years). In my opinion, automation is that answer. Get a unit that controls everything and you dont have to worry about it.

It would be nice if Hayward would have thought of this scenario and offered a relay between the EcoStar and the Salt System without going to full-blown automation. I'm sure there are plenty of people in this situation.

After researching further, wiring into the EcoStar isn't even really possible. The load side is three phase, so I nixed that option. Right now, I have the EcoStar on the line side of my Intermatic timer so it's powered all the time and the Salt System on the load side of the timer. Using the timer, the salt system is only allowed to be on 12 hours out of every 24. It's not perfect but better than nothing. I still don't like it, so if anyone has another idea... I like the idea of a load sensing relay to control whether the salt system has power or not -- if I had a clue what to buy... Anyone? Someone on this board recommended it, so maybe that same person knows which one to use???

I have thought the same thing. I'm not sure what it would involve or even be possible, but one relay and one 24v plug for an actuator would go a long way in a lot of situations.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.