Pucks? CH level?

Earl42

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2011
Wichita, KS
Hello, I opened my pool on Sunday and ran my tests. It seems that I now have a very low CYA level, <10. Half my water is new(drained below returns this winter). The water is clear with little to no debris. I have dumped in numerous bottles of bleach and have not been able to get it up to shock. I am still near 0-1 FC. I put in one of the pucks that the previous owners had left, it is in a floater. How many of those could I put in for shock? I figure I need some CYA anyway. Can I just throw them in the bottom? Put them in the skimmer? Drop them in the filter basket in front of my pump? Secondly, I have been dumping the pool calculator recommended amount of bleach but I have yet to see any levels near shock. Should I just do something crazy like double/triple that amount. Also, my CH is 0, is that normal?

Pucks are too slow to be used to reach shock levels.
Do not put them on the bottom ... bleach your liner
Do not put them in the skimmer unless your pump is on 24/7.
With almost no CYA, the sun will consume the FC quickly. Raise the CYA up to about 30ppm and then resume shocking with bleach. Just keep adding the bleach to reach shock level every time you test (might be hourly to start).
CH of 0 is rather odd, but not really of concern for a vinyl pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.