Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool vacuum has no suction

1. Back To Top    #1

pool vacuum has no suction

I have an above ground pool and have used my vacuum for a year. When i started pool this year i can't get it to suction or move. Any ideas?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pool vacuum has no suction

Are there any bubbles in the pump basket?

You probably have a suction side leak.
    The basket lid o-ring. Inspect, clean and lube it well.
    The pump drain plugs. Remove and reseal them.
    The skimmer weir. Make sure it's working freely.
    The water level in the pool. Make sure it's not creating a vortex.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

my vacuum still is not working. it worked for a bit and than stopped. i am not very good when people say check this and that so if you can break it down that would be great. What is a suction side leak and what is wrong if there are bubbles in the basket?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by helpme1
    my vacuum still is not working. it worked for a bit and than stopped. i am not very good when people say check this and that so if you can break it down that would be great. What is a suction side leak and what is wrong if there are bubbles in the basket?
    bubbles in the basket means the pump is sucking air, not water. It would be like you trying to drink from a straw that wasn't submerged in the drink.

You need to fill the vacuum hose with water before you attach it. Easiest way is to push it down starting from the vacuum head and let the water rise up in the hose, then attach it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

K, i will try that. I just don't get why it works sometimes and than stops. It has great suction when it does work so I am puzzled.

6. Back To Top    #6

Something else to remember is to put the swivel end of the hose on the vacuum and not at the skimmer.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

7. Back To Top    #7

Lets do this one thing at a time.

With the pump running and without the vacuum hooked up do you see any bubbles under the pump basket lid?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

How is your pressure when before and after you start vacuuming? I often lose suction when I vacuum and typically do one of the following.. turn pump off and then back on, or set valve to rinse for a quick one and then back to filter. This usually gives me my prime and suction back. I don't know why either, I'm guessing I have a suction side leak as well.
    10,408 gallon, 21' round, 52 in' deep AG, half in ground
    Artesian Clear Master Plus Sand Filter, Artesian Turbo King 2 hp pump, installed June 08
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    GEAUX TIGERS!
    Pics taken 2012
    http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad25 ... CN0606.jpg
    http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad25 ... CN0607.jpg

9. Back To Top    #9

what is a suction side leak

10. Back To Top    #10

"It would be like you trying to drink from a straw that wasn't submerged in the drink."

Or a straw that had a hole in it. You can still get some drink but not as much as if it didn't have the hole. Same applies to water.
    It's a leak on the pipes that go from your skimmer back to the pump area. If there is a leak then the suction side pulls in air at the spot of the leak and the suction is lost on the water. You get some water with suction but not enough to hold a suction on the vacuum.

Have you checked the basket for bubbles yet?
    10,408 gallon, 21' round, 52 in' deep AG, half in ground
    Artesian Clear Master Plus Sand Filter, Artesian Turbo King 2 hp pump, installed June 08
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    GEAUX TIGERS!
    Pics taken 2012
    http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad25 ... CN0606.jpg
    http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad25 ... CN0607.jpg