DE Powder/Dirty Water Going into Pool

ssocki

May 19, 2012
DE not completely coating filter grids

D E is only sticking to the top 1/3rd my filter grids. I have an American Products Titan CM filter, 48 sq feet, (Pool holds 22,000 gals). Water was cloudy with DE and green. Some grids torn, so replaced them all. Small hairline crack on manifold - replace that too. Added new o-rings as well. I vacuumed the pool, cleaned the new grids, vacuumed again, but still have green water with DE in it. Again - when I check the filter only the top 1/3 of the new grids is coated with DE (and seems thicker than normal). I am lost now, have you any suggestions?

I merged these topics because they're the same issue. Bama

Can you help me figure out why all of the DE is getting back into my pool? I have a 22,000 gal pool with an American Standard Titan CM filter - 48 square feet. Some filter grids were broken so I replaced all of them. Also replaced the top manifold and the various O-rings (1 on standpipe, 2 on multi-port valve). After cleaning and vacuuming and replenishing the DE, the filter seems to work OK, but after a few days I can see the DE back in the pool (and when I open the filter there is hardly any DE sticking to the grids). Pump is working OK, plenty of suction at skimmer, drain is functioning, no leaks that I can see. When the filter shuts off, I see the dirty water draining back in through the returns and through the bottom drain. Please offer any suggestion, I don't know what else to replace - the multi-port valve? Pump?

Re: DE Powder Going into Pool

If water is draining coming back through the drain, it's going to carry some DE with it. Is your pump basket completely full of water with no air bubbles when running? Air can compress in the filter and then force water back through the pump when you shut down.

Re: DE not completely coating filter grids

I do make a slurry mixture that I pour into the skimmer. I did notice last night that when the pump shuts off, the dirty filter water is coming out from the return lines and from the drain. Do you know what would cause this?

Dirty water seeping back into pool

When the pump turns off, dirty water (with DE) seeping back into pool through the return lines and through the main drain. So what might be causing the filter to push that stuff back in? Is there some sort of an air leak that is compressing the air in the filter after is turns off?

Re: Dirty water seeping back into pool

Is this the third time you asked the same question?

Do you have an air valve on the top of your filter? If so, does air come out when you open it? The likely scenario (which I know someone already asked you about) would be air entering the filter (see any bubbles in the pump) and then compressing and when the pump turns off the compressed air pushes the dirty water back out.

Hi Jason, I guess I am just trying to rephrase the problem as I rule out other issues. It seems that the real problem is air getting into the filter. Can you suggest a way to diagnose and ultimately repair an air leak?

Thanks

Air enters the system on the suction side ... thus you normally can see the air bubbles in the pump basket.

If you see bubbles or the basket is not completely full, you can run a water hose over all the connections on the suction side and if you can get the air to go away, then you found your leak. Check the the drain plugs on the bottom of the pump. And make sure the pump lid o-ring is lubed and not leaking.

It can be hard to find the leak ... and you have not confirmed for us that there is air in your filter yet by opening the vent at the top.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Hello Jason. This is difficult to diagnose. No air in the filter, just water. Cannot see bubbles in the basket. Poured water over all the possible connections and no air leaks detected. There is one issue that may have a connection. Part of the pipe is cracked that connects to the backwash drain. No air leaks around that are when the pump is running, but when I pull the valve up to backwash the water is leaking. Could that be contributing to my problem?

If you see air in the pump, or in the filter, or in the pool returns, then there is a leak. You last post said there was no air in the filter? Maybe it just needed to be purged after a cleaning or something? When you turn off the pump, does the water drain out of the filter? ... it should not

I had the same issue. It was caused by a failed check valve. The water in my solar system would flow back through the filter carrying DE back into the pool from the main drain. A new check valve....problem solved.

Do you have solar?

The check valve would be right after the filter ... maybe post a picture of you equipment pad so we can see what you are working with. Many setups do not have check valves.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

No Solar. My filter is about 15 years old, I don't see anything that looks like a valve attached to the pipes coming out of the filter. Probably does not exist. Will look again tomorrow in the daylight.

Thanks again Jason

My check valve was between the pump and the filter. In fact it was right above the pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.