Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2 Speed Pump Strategy

1. Back To Top    #1

2 Speed Pump Strategy

Just installed 1.5 Whisperflo 2 speed pump. Current approach is 24 hr operation with 20 hrs low rpm and 4 hrs high rpm after chlorine add. Any better pump operational patterns based?
    inground, 23,000 gallons, vinyl liner, sand filter, 2 speed Whisperflo 1.5 HP, gas heater

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: 2 Speed Pump Strategy

As long as your skimmers work well at low speed, there is no need to use high speed except in special situations (vacuuming, backwashing, cleaning up algae, etc). Also, you can probably have 12 hours a day or low, or less, and still be totally fine (though the only way to be sure is to try it).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

New Jersey

Re: 2 Speed Pump Strategy

I just put an A.O. Smith 2-speed 1.0 hp (full-rated) in my WhisperFlo on a 28k gal. pool. I've been playing with the run times for three weeks now. Currently running just low for 12 hours in two blocks. It's keeping up fine despite heavy spring pollen/tree crud and lots of rain. I expect to cut it back even more later in the season. I have a DE filter and my clarity test is the beam from my pool light. If I can barely see the beam, all is good. Once the beam is well-defined and I can see the particles, then it's time to up the run time.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.