First time AGP owner - need help getting up and running

May 9, 2012
Longwood, FL
Hello to all, I have been reading this board since we decided to jump into the world of pool ownership :-D . I have read Pool School and toyed with the pool calculator. I have also read tons of various posts (very informative board) on all areas from leveling, decks, chemistry, CYA, etc. This is our first ever AGP and we are trying to get it going right so we can start enjoying the water. Here is a rundown of what we have done so far:

1. Set up pool on Saturday morning (5/19) and began filling with water around 10:30 am, the pool was filled by 4:30 a.m. the next day.

2. Let pool sit pool until Monday morning when the electrician installed the dedicated 20A GFCI outlet near the pool location.

3. Backwashed filter and then turned it on (5/21 9:30 a.m.)

4. Added ~ 180lbs of salt, stirred it up and left pump running for 24 hrs.

5. This morning (8:00 a.m.) I did a salt test (aqua chem) and it read ~ 2660 ppm. I wanted to get into the range suggested by TFP, so I added another 20 lbs of salt and turned on the SWG for 3hrs per the Intex manual

6. This afternoon (2:30 p.m) I added 1.7 lbs of cyanuric acid (amount recommended in Intex manual) to a old sock and placed it in the skimmer.

7. Ran another salt test around 6:30 this evening and got the same reading as earlier ~2660 ppm.

8. Used aqua chem 6-way test strip and got the following results:

Total Hardness - 250 (CH = 2/3 x TH = 167)

Total Chloride - 0

FC - 0

Bromine - 0

pH - 8.4

TA - 120

CYA - 0

Questions :?:

I read that it takes CYA a while to establish, but I am confused with the FC number. Do I need to run the SWG for a longer time, should I run it through another cycle tonight?

Is there anything I should add in the meanwhile to get the FC up? What should I do about the pH being high (muratic acid)?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Wil

I did the following today and got the results below (shown in comparison to yesterdays results).

Added 87 ounces of bleach this morning.

Ran the SWG for 3 hours.

Squeezed sock with stabilzer near return until it was all dissolved.

Total Hardness - 250 (CH = 2/3 x TH = 167) ---no change

Total Chloride - 0 ---no change

FC - 0 --- no change

Bromine - 0 --- increased to 2

pH - 8.4 --- decreased to 7.8

TA - 120 --- increased to 180

CYA - 0 --- increased to 50

Salt - 2660 --- increased to 2860

I am still not sure why I am not registering any chlorine? any thoughts? do I need to add another round of bleach?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.