Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine Usage

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine Usage

Pool very clear but it has a larger Chlorine appetite. Trying to reduce Chlorine usage. I typically put in 1 gallon of liquid chlorine (12.5%) each evening which raises CL by 5 ppm. The next evening back at 4 ppm. Pump runs 24 hrs a day (20 hrs low rpm & 4 hrs high rpm after chlorine add). Pool seems to stay clearest at 8 to 10 ppm. Float 3 pucks a week in chlorine floater.

FC 4 ppm (before the 1 gallon add)
    CC 0 ppm
    ALK 120
    PH 7.6
    CYA 70

Any suggestions.
    Kenbob
    inground, 23,000 gallons, vinyl liner, sand filter, 2 speed Whisperflo 1.5 HP, gas heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine Usage

At 70ppm CYA, 4 or 5 is too low for your chlorine. You should try to stay at 8 and never let it get below 5.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. What is most economical way at keeping at 8 ppm. 4 Gallons of CL cost me $10.00 so a week equals $17.50.
    Kenbob
    inground, 23,000 gallons, vinyl liner, sand filter, 2 speed Whisperflo 1.5 HP, gas heater

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I would suggest performing the OCLT (it's in Pool School) The chlorine usage you indicate seems excessive and I think you have something living in your pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

And always keeping pucks in the floater is continually increasing your CYA which is already on the high side. 3 pucks/week is almost 4ppm CYA increase per week.

Pull the floater. Do the OCLT. Shock if required.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I did the OCLT test. Results as follows.

Wed 6:15 PM the CL was 4.5 ppm.
    Added a 1 gallon CL
    Wed 8:30 PM the CL was 11.5 ppm.
    Thur 5:45 AM the CL was 11.5 ppm.
    CL stayed at same level through night
    Kenbob

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Only 2 things consume chlorine in your pool....sunlight and organics

Your first post, if I interpret it correctly, indicates you are losing 5ppm daily. The OCLT indicates none of that loss is at night so there is nothing organic in your pool to consume the chlorine. The ONLY thing left is that sunlight is consuming 5ppm of your FC daily.

With a CYA of 70, that chlorine consumption is at least double what I would expect based on reports here on the forum and I have absolutely no explanation for it.
    Dave S.

8. Back To Top    #8

Appreciate the quick response. I use the FAS-DPD method for CYA measurements. Is there a better CYA measurement method to get a better CYA as that is the only thing I can think of ... CYA higher than I am reading .... then I would need to drain some water to get the CYA back down.
    Kenbob

9. Back To Top    #9

The black dot test is the best available CYA test, though it does leave a lot to be desired. Take a look at the extended directions for some pointers on the best way to do the test.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by kenbob57
    Appreciate the quick response. I use the FAS-DPD method for CYA measurements. Is there a better CYA measurement method to get a better CYA as that is the only thing I can think of ... CYA higher than I am reading .... then I would need to drain some water to get the CYA back down.
    You are losing me a little. Are you thinking higher CYA is the cause of your chlorine loss? It isn't.
    Dave S.

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks. Your correct that high CYA is not causing my lose in Chlorine. So OCLT test was good. Will a solar cover during the day slow chlorine consumption? Will the solar cover cause other issue.
    Kenbob