how many gallons of 6% liquid bleach one 3" chlorine tablet?

Re: how many gallons of 6% liquid bleach one 3" chlorine tab

swom said:
I did try it and can't get it to work......

Here's some back of the napkin math....

One 3" trichlor puck (7 oz. of trichlor) raises a 10K gal pool's FC by 4.8.

100 oz. of 6% raises the same pool's FC by 4.8.

By the transitive property (math teachers, back me up)...

one 3" puck = 100 oz. of 6% bleach.

I set the pool volume to 10,000 gallons, though it doesn't matter what one uses since the result will be a relative one. I then set the chlorine source in the pull-down menu in the FC section to "trichlor", set the Now to 0 and adjusted the Target number until the Trichlor weight became 8.0 ounces which is the weight of a typical 3" tab/puck (they can vary from 6 to 8 ounces). The FC Target it took to make that happen is 5.5 ppm. I then made sure the bleach percentage was set to 6% and saw that this was equivalent to 114 fluid ounces of 6% bleach. This number is a little different than the previous post because that post assumed a 7 ounce puck weight -- if you use 4.8 ppm FC as the Target, then you'll see a Trichlor weight of 7.0 ounces and a bleach amount of 100 fluid ounces.

OK, I will try your instructions and see if I can get it to work. I'm very excited about this site and really want to use the BBB system to keep my pool clean. I do appreciate your patience with a new user! :-D

Rather than you figuring out how much bleach is equivalent to a Trichlor puck, you can just figure your average daily chlorine use which for most pools is somewhere around 2 ppm FC if they are exposed to sun during the day. Once you get a proper test kit (either the TFTestkits TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006), then you'll be able to easily determine your typical daily chlorine usage and can then figure how much bleach you'll need. Nevertheless, I can understand how you currently know how many pucks you go through per week so can roughly figure how much bleach you'll need. Just note that it might be different since you might be using more chlorine now fighting a nascent (not yet visible) algae bloom or maybe your CYA level is high and you are using less chlorine than you should and are "on the edge" in terms of preventing algae growth.

Right now we have our pool ready to use. It's crystal clear...........because we've shocked it twice.....but I really want to learn the BBB system...for expense sake and I have Psoriasis and the borax would not hurt my skin the way just using chorine would...main reason..........expense!!! So happy I found this site and thank you for you quick replies.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.