Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloud of "dust" every time I brush

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloud of "dust" every time I brush

I have had a pool for a little over a year now. Been using liquid bleach since I started and have had no trouble. I noticed this week that I have a few spots on the bottom of the pool at least one is a stain I believe from a penny or some other metal object thrown in the pool. Others in the deep end look to have a green tint.

I have also noticed every time I brush there is a brownish cloud, especially in the shallow end and on the tanning ledge. This has been going on since I got the pool.

I have only had to shock it once last spring due to a storm that blew a couple of trees worth of pollen into the pool. Outside of that, the numbers have been stable. I just tested this evening and the chlorine looks fine:

FC: 4.5
    CC: 0
    TC: 4.5
    PH: 7.8
    TA: 80
    CH: 220
    CYA 30

Any ideas would be appreciated. I am looking to do the over night test tonight, but do not expect to see a loss as the numbers have been very stable and predictable. The water is crystal clear. Temps have been rising and water is at about 80 degrees.
    IG 23K Gal, Quad DE 80, PebbleSheen, Intelliflo VS+SVRS, MT 400 NG, Stenner Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloud of "dust" every time I brush

Quote Originally Posted by loweran
    I have had a pool for a little over a year now. Been using liquid bleach since I started and have had no trouble. I noticed this week that I have a few spots on the bottom of the pool at least one is a stain I believe from a penny or some other metal object thrown in the pool. Others in the deep end look to have a green tint.

I have also noticed every time I brush there is a brownish cloud, especially in the shallow end and on the tanning ledge. This has been going on since I got the pool.

I have only had to shock it once last spring due to a storm that blew a couple of trees worth of pollen into the pool. Outside of that, the numbers have been stable. I just tested this evening and the chlorine looks fine:

FC: 4.5
    CC: 0
    TC: 4.5
    PH: 7.8
    TA: 80
    CH: 220
    CYA 30

Any ideas would be appreciated. I am looking to do the over night test tonight, but do not expect to see a loss as the numbers have been very stable and predictable. The water is crystal clear. Temps have been rising and water is at about 80 degrees.
    I would love to hear ideas, as I have the exact same problem. My water is clearer than it has ever been before, but I still have junk collecting at the bottom that puffs up when I brush.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Well, I suggest you do the OCLT and let's go from there.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds like barely controlled algae. Try going to shock level for a few days.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Could just be dust and dirt that settles on the bottom as well ... we got a lot of that here in Tucson.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Could just be dust and dirt that settles on the bottom as well ... we got a lot of that here in Tucson.
    That's what I'm thinking/hoping. There's a big horsefarm with a lot of dirt pastures about a quarter mile from my house. Our patio furniture is always really dirty/dusty. Plus, I only lost 1ppm FC all day today, and that's with full sun for about 8 hours.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Thats what I was going to suggest as well. My vac doesn't get on the steps or the baja shelf. So I have to maually sweep those. I would suggest running the vac more or if you have an infloor system you might want to make sure it's working properly.
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm learning that farms nearby to pools mean your pool will never be clean. I know it's true because I was "shocking" the pool to treat for what I thought was algae, but then I noticed the same stuff on the top rails and on my screen door. The farmer is planting right now so it adds to the dust.

Try shocking and then see if it clears up. Or put a bucket of h2o outside with a little bleach and see if you collect the same stuff.

Hope it's just dirt!
    24' Round Diamond Star, 54" wall height, 200sq ft sta-rite cartridge filter
    Dynamo 1hp 2 speed pump, 199k Rheem milivolt heater
    Pool rover jr. - our best friend!
    Tf-100 plus borate strips and Taylor k1000.

9. Back To Top    #9

I am guilty of not brushing my pool as regularly as I should. Dirt collects on the baja shelf and around the underwater stools at the swim-up bar, and so when I do go to brush it, I get the brownish clouds you are referring to.
    I'm not guilty however of watching my chemical readings - I don't have any algae or other items causing a rise in CC.
    I think what you are seeing is just dust/dirt collecting on the pool floor, based on the fact that you don't seem to be losing FC as if something is growing.
    =====================================
    17K gallon IG freeform Pebble-Tec pool w/ raised spa/waterfall, Hayward 6020 DE filter, Tristar 1 HP circulation pump, Tristar 2.5 HP spa pump, Silencer 2hp blower, Aquarite SWG, Polaris 280 w/ booster pump, Hayward Universal H-Series 400K LPG heater, Ultrapure Ozonator 25, Aqualogic PS-8

10. Back To Top    #10

I passed the OCLT last night. I also put on a pair of goggles and inspected the spots. They look like rust spots. I got a SS brush and scrubbed, and they did not come up, only faded. I think they are probably the result of metal object being thrown in the pool by my kids, or possibly stains from oak leaves? Anyhow, I do not think I have algae at this point.

I brush every week to two, so probably just need to hit it more frequently. I notice the "dust" only in the shallow end and on the benches. The vac does not travel in the shallow very often. Not sure why that is, but never makes it up the hill.
    IG 23K Gal, Quad DE 80, PebbleSheen, Intelliflo VS+SVRS, MT 400 NG, Stenner Pump

11. Back To Top    #11

If you want to raise a dust cloud, buy a Wall Whale brush.....it will most certainly get dirt back in circulation where it can hopefully get filtered out.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!