Pergola electrical question

kyle11

May 17, 2012
We are planning our pool build and are planning on a 8x10 pergola and since we will be pouring concrete already I am going to have them set the 4 6x6s in concrete. My question is how do I hide the electric I am going to be running to it? I plan on running one wire and having a few outlets. One hidden in the cabinets for a fridge, one in the counter and one up higher for a tv. What would be the best way to hide these out of sight? I have ran many wires through my attic, under my house, through walls for alarms, electric projector screen and many other items all hidden out of sight but I can not think of a way to hide these wires. Can electrical wire be poured in concrete if it has extra protection?

I wouldn't set the 6x6 in the concrete to begin with. I would lay conduit in the concrete to one of the 6x6 locations and then route the wire up through the 6x6. Then drill out he 6x6 for wire and bolt it to the deck. Fish the wire through the conduit. you just have to leave room for the bolts to not interfere with the wire.

Alternatively you run the conduit to the location right next to the post location and run it up the side of the post. You just need to plan ahead and measure measure measure....

You could substitute a hollow column for one of the 6 x 6's. You could make this out of 2ea 2 x6's and 2ea 2x 2-1/2 pieces of lumber, this would replicate the size of the solid 6 x 6 columns. The down side is that you may be able to see the joints but if you bought 2 x 8's and cut them down to 2 x 6 you could minimize this, as most store bought lumber does not have crisp corners. Your conduit could stub up in to the cavity. If you put some extra conduit you would have some expandability for other electronics down the line.

Thanks all great ideas. I know which brackets you are referring to. How long does the Crete need to cure ? I know normally it is like what 54 days to fully cure or something but could I drill into it say within a week or 2?

If you dont mind me chiming in I agree with the idea of not mounting your wood in concrete. Use the brackets or build it stout enough that it wont move on accident. It can be hard to hide where the electric comes into the pergola at. I recently bought the wood for a pergola but due to a pool leak and a ripped up front yard the wife says that I am unable to start that until the previous two are fixed. I have electric ran to where my pergola will be via conduit coming up through the cement. I plan to Dado all four sides of treated 6x6 and then wrap them in rough cut cedar. By dadoing the center of every side of every post I will be building a channel that I can run wires through. I know it probably sounds like a lot of work but it was the best I have came up with so far.

run pvc pipe and they make what is called a chair. it is a pvc bracket that is flat on the bottom and rounded at the top. the may cost a $1 or 2 each call a local electrical supply house ask for what ever size pvc you need and a couple chairs. i think you need 3 per 10ft pc. pull the wire before you pour the concrete alot of people juse pull the pullrope thru pipe and bad things happen. also pay the extra money for gfci receptacle since your going outside

Use Simpson Strongtie concrete anchors for the posts. You set them in the wet concrete and the attach the posts to them. They have a standoff plate so the posts are not in contact with the ground and won't absorb water. There are lots of choices depending on thickness of your concrete and the loads (uplift and down). For example, PBS66, CBSQ66, ABU66, etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've done a variation on hayder710's idea.

I've routed a dado in the side of the post with a 3/4" router bit and set the romex in the dado. On the table saw I'll rip a strip of wood, 3/4" wide by about a 1/2" deep. Use titebond and glue the strip into the dado. Tap it in, belt sand if needed. The glue lines pretty much disappear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.