Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need help Re-attaching Pump Wiring

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help Re-attaching Pump Wiring

I plan to open my own pool this year (first time). When it was closed, the pool guy removed the pump motor and I don't know which wire goes where. From the panel, there are three wires (green/red/black). At the pump, there are three possible connections (white/brown/green screw). According to the diagram on the side of the pump, the brown connection is low voltage and the white is high voltage; I assume the green screw is a ground. The pump is a Pentair 1.5 HP 1-speed pump. Anyone have any idea what goes where?
    c ya, grivera

IG, Cement, 18,600 Gal; DE, SWCG, Nature 2; 1.5 hp pump; Quartz Aggregate, Mid-Atlantic-1st opened 7/07

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need help Re-attaching Pump Wiring

Can you post a pic of the wiring diagram?
    What is the part number on the motor?

Is it 120 or 240 volts?

The green is definitely ground.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    The green is definitely ground.
    Well one would hope that it is ...
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I will get a pic of the diagram today. For clarity, are you all saying the green screw is ground or the green wire from panel/breaker is ground? How do I ascertain if it's 120 or 240V?
    c ya, grivera

IG, Cement, 18,600 Gal; DE, SWCG, Nature 2; 1.5 hp pump; Quartz Aggregate, Mid-Atlantic-1st opened 7/07

5. Back To Top    #5

Need help Re-attaching Pump Wiring

Goto your electric box and see if there is a breaker labeled pool pump or filter. If the breaker is a single breaker the pump is 120v. If it is a double breaker it is 240v. I would assume because the wires are red and black that it is 240v. Which would mean you want to but one wire on the high voltage screw. There should be another screw that says common. Let us know and we'll see if we can help you out.
    16' x 32' rectangle with 4' radius corners.
    Approximately 19,200 gallons
    Hayward sand filter and pump
    ColorQ Pro 7 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I'd really like to see a pic of the motor wiring label, the motor terminal area, and the panel area with the pool breaker identified. I am 90% I know what's right but 90% isn't good enough with electricity.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

7. Back To Top    #7

Here are some pics; it's a double pole breaker:

c ya, grivera

8. Back To Top    #8

Green wire to green screw. Black wire to one screw in middle, red to the other (doesn't matter which one on which.)
    16x32 Oval In-ground Vinyl, ~17,000 gallons, Hayward 1hp Superpump, Hayward S245T Sand Filter

Worn out sand? sand-filter-expert-help-t30049.html
    Drain the easy way: cyanuric-acid-blues-draining-pool-t43843.html
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html , pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock , pool-school/shocking_your_pool

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by macgulley
    Green wire to green screw. Black wire to one screw in middle, red to the other (doesn't matter which one on which.)

Outstanding! Thanks
    c ya, grivera

10. Back To Top    #10

Yup. Pictures make this easy. For reference your pump is wired for 240V. Looks like if could also be run on 120V following the Low Voltage diagram.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Another yup, 100%. See how easy the pics make this. You should also look for a heavy bare copper bonding wire that would attach to a separate bonding lug on the motor (maybe on the back?) It may just be lying on the ground somewhere. The motor will work fine without it, but it is an important safety item and a 2007 IG pool with 240V should have one.

EDIT: That may be it about one o'clock from the end of the orange screwdriver.

PS. Get rid of the Nature2. It is a major waste of money and mine exploded and let all the little metal balls blow into the pool, get sucked into the floor drain and back to the filter. The Cu/Ag overdose badly stained my plaster. I hate them.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Durk
    Another yup, 100%. See how easy the pics make this. You should also look for a heavy bare copper bonding wire that would attach to a separate bonding lug on the motor (maybe on the back?) It may just be lying on the ground somewhere. The motor will work fine without it, but it is an important safety item and a 2007 IG pool with 240V should have one.

EDIT: That may be it about one o'clock from the end of the orange screwdriver.

PS. Get rid of the Nature2. It is a major waste of money and mine exploded and let all the little metal balls blow into the pool, get sucked into the floor drain and back to the filter. The Cu/Ag overdose badly stained my plaster. I hate them.
    Thanks for the reminder on bonding wire. I never installed the Nature 2 cartridge for fear of staining; it's just the empty housing from the original construction.
    c ya, grivera

13. Back To Top    #13

I traded my 1.5 hp pump and impeller for a 1hp/impeller but the screws that attach the wires are missing and the person I traded with is too far for me to get my old ones. Any idea what size they are? (1hp Whisper flow)
    c ya, grivera

14. Back To Top    #14

They should be #10-24 screws 1/4" long. I'd pick up some #8-32's and some 10-24's just to cover the bases.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

thanks
    c ya, grivera