Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: converting bacquacil to chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Boston, MA

converting bacquacil to chlorine

I decided to switch from bacquacil to chlorine when opening my pool this spring. I assumed after 8 months the bacquacil was gone from pool....WRONG!! Now I'm pouring shock in by the gallon and the chlorine is still not registering on test strips, the pool is green and the pump needs to be backwashed every two hours as the pressure rises very quickly. This wouldnt be a problem if I didnt have to go to work all day. Is this nightmare normal? how long before pool is clear. Any suggestions?

2. Back To Top    #2
    South Carolina

Re: converting bacquacil to chlorine

Welcome to the forum

We have complete instructions on how to convert from baqua in Pool School. Big white button, top right of each page.

What test kit are you using?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

Welcome to TFP.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, it's normal, and no, it's not gone.

A conversion takes some work. If you search you can see the efforts of others that have done the same as you. Hang in there and keep that chlorine handy, and be ready to backwash regularly. If you don't have a good test kit... get one pronto. There are a couple of good ones mentioned in the pool school section of this site.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist $600 w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panel

My backyard is like a park... Why then does DH always want to go camping??? I just don't understand.