Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DiamondBrite surface much rougher this year ???

1. Back To Top    #1

DiamondBrite surface much rougher this year ???

I just opened my pool after it spent its first winter winterized and covered. I'm afraid the surface of the Diamondbrite has become much rougher where there was water, and is still smooth like it was last year where there was not. In other words, if I slide my hand down the sides of the wall, its smooth to the touch until I get to where the water level was left at for the winterizing. Then it is quite irritatingly rough. Same thing on the steps- first one is fine, rest of them very rough.
    The Vii cleaner is also picking up a lot of white sand, requiring frequent emptying of the bag because it fills up to the sand line and the robot begins to go upside down etc.
    It seems undeniable that my plaster has suffered somewhat.
    I'm assuming that this isn't a product failure, but I did check the pH and CL levels mid-winter and added acid and bleach. They were off but not horrendously off.

MY QUESTION(S) IS: is this typical of a brand new pool going its first winter and now should settle in? And what do I do now about the rough surface?
    24k gallon inground with 500 gallon spa, 580sqft Jandy cartridge filter, Jandy ePump 2HP variable speed pump, Jandy 1400 SWG AquaCal Heat Pump, Diamondbrite Aqua Quartz plaster

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DiamondBrite surface much rougher this year ???

Sounds like it could be scaling that occurred if the pH and CH were high.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Afraid you're right. Is the scaling reversible with keeping my pH around 7.2 and brushing everyday like the initial days of the pool?

This will tear the kids feet up if it doesn't improve.
    24k gallon inground with 500 gallon spa, 580sqft Jandy cartridge filter, Jandy ePump 2HP variable speed pump, Jandy 1400 SWG AquaCal Heat Pump, Diamondbrite Aqua Quartz plaster

4. Back To Top    #4

What do your test numbers look like?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    What do your test numbers look like?
    Well, now my pH is 7.2, FC is 5, CYA is 50. I don't trust myself on the CH test. I put the 20 drops in, and then the 5 drops, and it SLIGHTLY turns pink, not red. Then, after 20 drops of the next bottle, it is the slightest pale blue (but that might be the sky, or me hoping). I went up to 50 drops and it didn't change, and I stopped wasting my test kit.

I've swept till my triceps were barking, but it hasn't seemed to do a **** thing yet.

6. Back To Top    #6

So is the roughness that I feel actually "scale", and no long term damage was done?
    Or is the roughness frOm exposed aggregate and I lost some plaster cream? If anything, my pH was high, not low, and the pool always needs acid.
    Thanks for any advice.

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, you have scale, so the plaster is intact underneath it. If it's not too bad (not scraping/cutting you or your family), you can just keep your pH on the low end of the range, brush a lot, and it will eventually go away. A quicker, more expensive approach is to drain the pool and have an acid wash done.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for your reply. Going to keep it 7-ish and brush everyday for my sins.

9. Back To Top    #9

So how is this situation coming along? Is it still rough?
    Jay...12,500 gallon freeform pool and attached spa w/ Bullfrog Oscillator & ClusterSpray Jetpaks
    Jandy 2hp VS pump(main), Jandy 2hp Stealth pump(Jetpaks), Jandy 1hp Stealth pump(water features) Jandy CL-580 filter, Jandy Watercolors LED lighting, Jandy Aqualink RS8(revision MM) w/Aquapalm, Autelis Controller, Onetouch controller, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWG, Jandy LXi 400k heater, Paramount PV3 6 zone infloor cleaning system