Cloudy after Shock

May 20, 2012
I shocked our pool last night. Finally have some FC in the pool after weeks of 0. Our levels right now read: FC 2-3; ph 7.6; TA 90-100. I used a chemistry kit I had until my Taylor k-2006 FAS DPD kit comes in. Everything I am showing says all is ideal or in normal range. Why is the pool a little cloudy in the deep end? Its clear in the shallow end.

Does not sound like you are follow the Shocking Your Pool process. Shocking does not involve just throwing something in the pool once. You have to maintain the FC level above shock value ... which is determined by your CYA level ... which you did not test.

What did you "shock" with? If it was cal-hypo, which adds CH (also not tested), then that can sometimes wake the water cloudy I think.

CYA is a choline stabilizer, it does not eat chlorine. If your pool is cloudy odds are pretty good that you still have something going on in the pool with live or/and dead algae. You will need to check you FC levels at night and first thing in the morning to see if you are losing FC at night. If you are losing FC at night, something organic is in the water eating the chlorine and you will need to shock the pool. Make sure you read up on shocking your pool in the pool school.

Still did not answer what you added to the pool last night to raise the FC???

Like I said it could be the cal-hypo, or more likely you should follow the shock process when your good kit come in.

With a CYA of ~40ppm, you should NEVER let the FC below 3ppm and the shock level is 16ppm.

We did use a Cal-Hypo to shock the pool. Did the overnight test and lost no chlorine and all levels staying about the same. Going to take a water sample to pool store to be analyzed. Still waiting for my Taylor k-2006 to come in then I can test all levels on my own. Since my levels stayed the same and I lost no Chlorine, we should be good right? We have a Chlorinator that is empty right now. To maintain the chlorine what should I use? bleach or non stablizing tabs? how much would I use? and do I need to add bleach daily? We have 5 children so there are 7 people swimming in the pool pretty much 5-7 times a week.

If your OCLT was fine and you are not seeing any CC, the cloudiness may have just been the shock ... has it cleared up now?

Bleach or liquid chlorine are the best options to maintain FC as they do not add anything you do not want.
Unfortunately, there is not such thing as non-stabilized tablets ... you will be a billionaire if you can figure out how :)
Use poolcalculator.com to determine how much bleach you need to add to maintain your FC between 3-5ppm
With that much user load, you probably need to add bleach everyday (best is after dark with the pump still on for a little while).

You may find it takes a lot of FC everyday since your pool is used so much. The only other options besides pouring in bleach is converting to a SWG or using a pump to automatically add the bleach for you (like the Liquidator).

Hope your kits comes in soon!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.