if you were buying...

Mar 21, 2012
NC
A new pool pump for a 33' round pool, which would you buy? In terms of electricity usage, water movement, reliability. I am not sure if the pump is working, and if it isnt, I definitely have to get a new one and am willing to spend a little extra to get what I need. Thanks in advance.

Pump selection starts generally with filter size. So, if that is the SD60 filter, it is 2.3 sq. ft which according to ANSI specification for "public" pools would be good for a 12500 gallon pool. As you know,yours is much larger than that (assuming 4 ft water depth, pool calculator give me 25600 gallons). So you need to decide if you want to buy a pump for your existing filter or if you want to buy your pump for a larger filter (the larger filter being better suited for your pool).

A couple of additional questions for you to help determine pump size:
1. Describe your plumbing.
2. Do you plan to run solar or something else that would have added head loss in the future?

This thread may be of interest to you since the op was starting from scratch on equipment for a 33' round agp: http://www.troublefreepool.com/newbie-looking-for-experienced-feedback-t44193.html

It is a S210T filter. It will be hard plumbed with
PVC. I would like to use that filter if possible.
The one that came with that pool is a S190T. I bought
2 used pool and the larger pool came with the
Smaller filter. And both had a 1 HP pump.

jrh1010 said:
I would like to use that filter if possible.
You did as "if you were buying" :-D You will most likely will have to run quite a bit longer than 6 hours to turn over that large of pool. How deep will the water be?

jrh1010 said:
It is a S210T filter.
That filter is 2.2 sq. ft. so a pump that can deliver at least 33 gpm is needed to backwash it properly. Most of the 3/4 hp AGP pumps can do that even with some plumbing head loss...such as the 3/4 hp hayward matrix. You may want to consider the 1 hp 2 speed matrix (I have that one) since for a pool that size you may just want to leave the pump on at low speed 24/7. It would probably take 12 hours to turn that pool volume over on high, so somewhere around 24 hours (or a little less due to some efficiency gained) to do it on low. Your power required would be 1/2 of what it would take to run on high.

Hey linen, I'm up late looking at pool stuff : )
I have a 300 lb sand filter with 2 pumps I am looking
To buy on Friday. My used pool is getting expensive : (
But I do have 2 above ground filters to sell : ) I put a lot
Of stuff on the other thread that was linked above. Also, would you
Mind if I sent you a link by pm? It is the filter and pump
Set up I think is pretty nice. The pump looks expensive
From what I can tell.

jrh1010 said:
Hey linen, I'm up late looking at pool stuff : )
I have a 300 lb sand filter with 2 pumps I am looking
To buy on Friday. My used pool is getting expensive : (
But I do have 2 above ground filters to sell : ) I put a lot
Of stuff on the other thread that was linked above. Also, would you
Mind if I sent you a link by pm? It is the filter and pump
Set up I think is pretty nice. The pump looks expensive
From what I can tell.
If it is the S244T it is better fit than your existing filters at 3.14 sq. ft., but ideally still a little small for your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.