Burning/Stinging eyes

jasonknox

Platinum Supporter
May 4, 2010
SW Georgia
My nephews came and swam this weekend and after a long day in the pool they complained of burning/Stinging eyes. I have read alot of the forums and it seems that this problem is caused by high CC's and/or low PH. I have had neither of these in 3 years thanks to this website and the BBB method. They indicated that they do not have any eye problems in 2 other pools that they swim in and I know for a fact that these 2 pool do not get the attention that my pool gets. I test and treat my pool daily. I always add acid when the test reads 7.8 and keep my chlorine 1 point higher than the target listed in the chlorine/cya chart on this website. Then a cousin jumps in and says that his kids eyes don't burn in his pool because he has a salt water pool and mine is chlorine :hammer: ? The other two pools I refered to above are not SWG pools. I did add borates last summer but I did not think that would make a difference. I can argue all day long that my pool chemicals are correct but it is hard to due when kids are whinning about there eyes hurting. I makes me look defensive and uncaring.

Could it be that because we are humans and were not born with gills that putting our eyes in an environment that is not natural (like water)for an extended period of time might cause them to hurt?

Here are my numbers just in case:
FC 7.5
CC 0.0
TA 80
PH 7.5
B 50
CYA 50

As noted in this post, I reference a paper that notes that the primary factor for irritation appeared to be osmotic pressure since adding salt to the water at around 0.5% (around 5000 ppm) in the field study or 0.7% (around 7000 ppm) in the lab study virtually eliminated the eye irritation which isn't much of a surprise since the salinity of human tears is around 9000 ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.