Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool cleaner side suction blocked...

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool cleaner side suction blocked...

Hi all, noob to the forum. I've dealt with a blockage between the skimmer and filter, good ole plunger method but recently I noticed the Hayward not moving. I did the usual, pulled it, checked for debris, now I do have to add I get a lot of **** in my pool every day. So I tuned the valve to full pool cleaner and very low suction and psi dropped to 2. I just replaced the pump 6mos ago as well as the DE filter screens so I do think I've got a blockage somewhere between the side pool cleaning port and the valve.

Is there an easy way to troubleshoot this or am I looking at calling someone?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool cleaner side suction blocked...

You can unhook the cleaner and see how much the filter pressure changes when you select that line. You could also use hose to backpressue the line.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    You can unhook the cleaner and see how much the filter pressure changes when you select that line. You could also use hose to backpressue the line.
    I did unhook and it's still @2 psi so it's definitely bogging down, when I turn back to skimmer it runs like the boss. As far as the hose, you'd put it in the pool side correct? I'll give that a try this weeked.

4. Back To Top    #4

No. I think you want to try to put a hose in at the pad and force the water back toward the pool to try to push the blockage back out and not further in.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Right!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    No. I think you want to try to put a hose in at the pad and force the water back toward the pool to try to push the blockage back out and not further in.
    Ahhhh right, pull the filter and go that way...hope that works and doesn't just come out the skimmer but hey, I'll try anything once. Thanks everyone.

7. Back To Top    #7

I think the ideal way to do it would be close the skimmer valve, disconnect the pump from the suction line and put the hose in there ... hopefully you have union fittings on your pump.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    I think the ideal way to do it would be close the skimmer valve, disconnect the pump from the suction line and put the hose in there ... hopefully you have union fittings on your pump.
    Wow it's been a really long day, sometimes you just don't know how dumb you are till someone points it out

Thanks for the advice.

9. Back To Top    #9

That's what I had to do... Of course I did not have unions so I had to cut the pipes, clear the jam, and then go back with unions. It's much nicer now though with the unions.
    12,500 Gallons, IG - Fiberglass (kidney bean shape), Sand Filter, 1 1/2 HP Pac Fab Challenger motor/pump, Kreepy Krauly

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Chiz
    That's what I had to do... Of course I did not have unions so I had to cut the pipes, clear the jam, and then go back with unions. It's much nicer now though with the unions.
    I have no unions so I'm first going to try and clear it with just the hose and the valve turned to the cleaner. I'll update after I try.