Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump motor tripping occassionally

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump motor tripping occassionally

My pump motor is about 6 years old and I have owned the house and pool for a little over 1 year. Until about 3 weeks ago the pump ran perfectly. About three weeks ago it tripped the breaker (240V) and started working immediately once I reset the breaker. The pump ran normally for another week or so and then tripped. Again I reset and it was fine for a a few days and then tripped. It is now tripping the breaker every couple of days...but always only after the pump has been running for a period of hours and not when it first starts up.

I have a second identical pump for my water fall that I can swap in an attempt to isolate the problem to either the pump or the wiring and breaker. Is that where I should start? I have not yet opened up the motor cover to check wiring etc. I will do that before I swap out the motors.

Any thoughts on why the pump may be tripping (keeping in mind that it only happens after it has been running for a while and not immediately upon start up)? Thanks. Here is what I have:

AO Smith Motor K48N2N104 (AO Smith ST1202 (replacement number)) 2HP, 3450 RPM with 1.3 Service Factor
    ____________________________________________________________ ___________________
    21,000 gallon in ground rectangular plaster pool, Sta-Rite High Rate Sand Filter Model 82524-3, AO Smith SK1152 1.5HP motor w/ Sta-Rite bronze pool pump, Hayward Navigator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump motor tripping occassionally

It sounds like it may just be a breaker failing. As they start to fail they trip at less amperage.
    I'd have the pump tested. Or you could just change the breaker.

Of course it could be the windings failing but they normally fail pretty quickly.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Also check your connections, possibly at the timer for loose connections.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. Since it is the simplest and least costly (free) I will start by opening up the pump and panel and check all connections. If I still have the problem after that I will change out the breaker and then go from there.
    ____________________________________________________________ ___________________
    21,000 gallon in ground rectangular plaster pool, Sta-Rite High Rate Sand Filter Model 82524-3, AO Smith SK1152 1.5HP motor w/ Sta-Rite bronze pool pump, Hayward Navigator

5. Back To Top    #5

I opened up the pump and panel yesterday and all connections were solid with no corrosion. I decided to swap the pumps and see if that causes the problem to either go away or switch from one breaker to the other. My pool pump has run about 8 hours a day on average and my waterfall pump has run about 30 minutes a day on average for the last six years, so I figure it makes sense to switch them out to try and even out the accumulated run times regardless of my tripping issue. Let's see what happens.

6. Back To Top    #6

That won't really be a good test of the breaker unless they both draw the same current.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

I don't know enough about pumps, but they are identical pumps so shouldn't they be close in current draw? If the pump that was tripping the breaker (pool) now trips the breaker when hooked up to the waterfall wouldn't that tell me I most likely have a pump problem and not a breaker problem. Each pump is on its own circuit with separate breakers.

8. Back To Top    #8

I didn't know they were the same. So yes, that's a great test!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks. I should have made it more clear. Two identical pumps. One runs the pool and spa and one runs a waterfall. Each pump is on a dedicated circuit.

10. Back To Top    #10

I am 2 full days in with the pumps switched and do not have any breaker tripping on my main pump. Keeping my fingers crossed.

11. Back To Top    #11

Great trouble shooting idea. If it does trip the breaker on the fountain, could be the motor is on it's way out. Got pictures?
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida