Bringing CYA from 0-40ppm

Feb 16, 2012
Winston Salem NC
I picked up this stabilizer today.

I realized after I bought it that at 3lbs, it is not nearly enough according to Pool Calculator to get me to 40ppm. Pool calculator is calling for ~10lbs. Does that sound right for 29k gallons?

Also, it is not a liquid. It feels like "crystals" in the container. Is that considered a solid CYA? If so, that means the best way to put it in is in a skimmer basket... with a sock. Does that mean a standard sock for a foot, or is there some certain "pool sock" that I am not familiar with?

My pool is 18x36 vinyl. I am running an intelliflo VS pump (1500RPM for 18 hours - just a starting point). I have a 420sf cartridge filter, and a Hayward SWG.

Here were my test results form Sunday. We are having the deck poured on Friday of this week.

FC = Negligible (obviously because there is no CYA)
PH = 7.3
TA = 40
CH = 220
CYA = 0
Salt = 3800 (with test kit), 3100 (according to the "controller") Which one should I "follow"? The controller is what the cell is looking at, so I assume that it is what matters and what will keep the cell happy?

You can check out my build over here.... new-pool-in-nc-t40813.html

Thanks

You have regular granular CYA. Just a regular sock in the skimmer or hung in front of a return. You can pour some into the skimmer slowly with a cartridge filter, but don't put so much in that you restrict the filter.

Sneak up on the CYA. Your pool volume probably isn't exact, so add 2/3 or so of what you think you need, wait and see how that does, then add part of what you think you need again and repeat. Wait several days to a week between additions so you can be sure the CYA is fully dissolved.

You can also add to the CYA by using trichlor or dichlor granules to both raise your chlorine level and add CYA. Just check the pool calculator to see how that will affect the CYA.

Thanks guys... if my water looks this good now, I cannot wait to see how it looks after the deck and when everything is in perfect balance!

22207b38.jpg

head gamez said:
One more question....

Is it OK to add a puck while still running the SWG?
Sure. It really doesn't matter where the FC comes from, whether liquid bleach, pucks, or electrolyzed from salt water, it all works the same once it's dissolved in water.

Pucks take a while to dissolve, and enough to raise the CYA will take longer to dissolve than just adding CYA crystals and letting them dissolve.

The amount it calls for sounds right. My pool is 6000gal, and to go from 0 to 30 was 3 cups by volume. I thought I had a low reading, and that maybe the pool calc was finally wrong on something, so added another cup after a week. Nope, I'm a dumbass, and now I have 40ppm CYA.

:oops:

Maybe I am an idiot, but I will ask the question to see....

Was I supposed to tie the sock in front of the return, or hold in front of the return while "working" it with my hand?

THe reason I ask is because I thought the former. I tied it up so that it was dangling by the return (about 5pm yesterday), and when I got home today only about half of it had been disolved. I then reached in, and started "working" it by hand and in about a minute or two it was all disolved. Which way is correct?

Tomorrow evening, I am going to vacuum and then test everything. On Friday, the concrete deck is being poured, and then I look forward to a "clean" pool!

One more un-answered question from above.... should I go by the Salt test from the Taylor Kit (purchased in addition to the standard T-100), or the number that the Hayward "Controller" tells me?

Mike

Combo of both. Dangle it and squeeze it whenever you pass by :)

If the Hayward is not happy, then you will not be happy ... hopefully the Taylor is close and can be used as a sanity check.

Figured I would share my test results from this evening...

FC = 6
CC = 0
PH = 7.2
TA = 40
CH = 120
CYA = 0

I tested this late in the afternoon (FC test was around 7:30PM while sun was still out). The number (6) tells me that there is Chlorine in the pool, and that there is evidently CYY in the pool. I just added 3lbs of CYA Tuesday-Wednesday (finally disolved most of it Wednesday night), so I am hoping that it is just taking a while to register (as Pool School says).

I know, everything is not yet in line, but any thoughts on my numbers?

My pool is clear with the exception of Dirt (and a few leaves), but our deck is not yet in place, so dirt is our deck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.