Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA is 190

1. Back To Top    #1
    Northern NY

TA is 190

We opened our pool last week. How exciting it was to see the crystal clear water - thanks to Didn't know what to expect since this was our first winter.
    We finally had the water topped off and the filter is running now. I did my first tests
    CYA 20
    TA 190
    ph 7.5
    FC 4.5
    CC 0
    I think I'll add a bit more CYA to bring it up to 30, but should I worry about the TA? Or can I leave it alone as long as the ph doesn't rise?
    27 foot AG vinyl pool (17100 gallon) - Sand Dollar Filter 1.5 hp 2 speed pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: TA is 190

If you are not getting an unacceptable pH rise, then leaving the TA should not be a problem. If you decided to slowly lower it, read Lowering Total Alkalinity for the process.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Indiana

Re: TA is 190

I've dealt with extremely high TA for a long while. My fill water is typically around 480ppm. The water I trucked in to fill the pool originally was 240ppm, so I know the drill. It took me two years to get mine below 200ppm, with attention to pH and rainwater.

I just tried to stay on top of the pH and to go for the low end of the range. Try to keep it at 7.1 or 7.2, and you'll slowly get rid of your alkalinity. If you have the time on the weekends, adjust your pH a few times a day and use a fountain or the return angled up to accelerate the process.

No real need to be in a hurry, but if you are going to fight pH anyway, fighting it at the low end will eventually reduce your TA, while fighting it at the high end is just annoying.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat