New guy here

May 15, 2012
Hi - I am a first time pool owner from central Massachusetts. We have a 24' round above ground pool, 2 speed, 2HP pump, and a DE filter with an automatic chlorinator device thing that uses those big tablets. So far, this has become a lot of work. My SIL came over and showed us how to hook up the manual vaccuum so we cleaned a lot of junk out of the pool which was tough since we have no deck yet. There is still dirt in the pool that we can't seem to get out. My wife continually believes the filter needs cleaning. My dealer (who has not been a lot of help) did say that the filter needs to be cleaned when the pressure goes up or the return flow "doesn't push your hand away" anymore....?

Someone also told my wife that we should backwash the filter, but no one has ever told us how to go about doing that. Any help would be greatly apreciated!

Thanks!
Rich

Yup, that's it. The guage reads around 12 to 14 (which is what it reads when I first start it). That's when the pump is on high speed. When it's on low it barely registers.

My wife is upset because the manual vac will not pick up dirt particles from the pool floor; should it?