Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New guy here

1. Back To Top    #1

New guy here

Hi - I am a first time pool owner from central Massachusetts. We have a 24' round above ground pool, 2 speed, 2HP pump, and a DE filter with an automatic chlorinator device thing that uses those big tablets. So far, this has become a lot of work. My SIL came over and showed us how to hook up the manual vaccuum so we cleaned a lot of junk out of the pool which was tough since we have no deck yet. There is still dirt in the pool that we can't seem to get out. My wife continually believes the filter needs cleaning. My dealer (who has not been a lot of help) did say that the filter needs to be cleaned when the pressure goes up or the return flow "doesn't push your hand away" anymore....?

Someone also told my wife that we should backwash the filter, but no one has ever told us how to go about doing that. Any help would be greatly apreciated!

Thanks!
    Rich
    24' Round AG Pool; approx 13,000 gallons, 2 speed 2 HP pump, DE filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New guy here

Welcome to TFP!

Can you post some pictures and/or model number of your filter?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Does it have a multiport switch on top with settings for filter, backwash, rinse and such?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Welcome to TFP!

Can you post some pictures and/or model number of your filter?
    It's a Clearwater II DE FD 12 (or 18?)

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    Does it have a multiport switch on top with settings for filter, backwash, rinse and such?
    Not that I can see....?

5. Back To Top    #5

I believe your filter requires disassembly to clean. Here is the process: http://www.waterwayplastics.com/manuals ... 5.0808.pdf

What is your pressure gauge reading and what did it read when first installed?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

Yup, that's it. The guage reads around 12 to 14 (which is what it reads when I first start it). That's when the pump is on high speed. When it's on low it barely registers.

My wife is upset because the manual vac will not pick up dirt particles from the pool floor; should it?