Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help my daughter has a rash!

1. Back To Top    #1

Help my daughter has a rash!

This is my first year doing the BBB method. My 8 year old daughter develops a rash every time she gets in the pool. I'm thinking it must be the Borax. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a way to get it out? Ph 7.6, Cl 3ppm, CYA 35, Alkalinity 75
    14' x 28' Grecian Vinyl IGP 13,300gal, Hayward SP2607X10 Super Pump, Hayward C1200 Star-Clear Plus cartidge filter, TF-100, Taylor k-2006 test kits

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help my daughter has a rash!

How did you get those test results? Kit, pool store, etc.
    How long has the pool been open?
    Your chlorine is a little low and if that's TC and not FC you may have a problem.

I doubt it's the Borax.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Pool has been open 2 weeks. Results are from a strip. I don't know if it is TC or FC, I believe most strips show TC.
    14' x 28' Grecian Vinyl IGP 13,300gal, Hayward SP2607X10 Super Pump, Hayward C1200 Star-Clear Plus cartidge filter, TF-100, Taylor k-2006 test kits

4. Back To Top    #4

You need a better way to test your pool. Which strips? (although they are all pretty much useless). Some will measure FC and TC. Although for all you know you have 0 Free Chlorine and 3ppm of Combined Chlorine (which is the bad kind ).

Getting one of the recommended test kits (see my sig. for a link) will be one of the best investments you can make for your pool ... especially if it prevents the rashes which take away the enjoyment.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Yep, most strips show TC so you could actually have zero FC and 3 ppm CC but more likely it's a combination of the two.

You need good test results so we can help you figure out what's going on. For a pool your size I recommend you get a good test kit. If you already have a pH test you can get the TF-50 from tftestkits. Even then I recommend the TF-100. The K-2006 can be had from the same place if you'd rather.

JB and I are saying the ssame thing but he beat me to it! I'm posting anyway!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Two posts saying the same thing- I'll order myself a kit today! Thanks

7. Back To Top    #7

Received my TF-100 on Saturday. Results were very similar to the strips. Good news is the rash cleared up before I even received the TF-100 and it hasn't returned. (it may not have been the pool).

I am very pleased with the test kit, glad I had a reason to purchase it. I do have one question- When I do the CYA drop test what sort of light should I be in? Outside in full sun, in the shade or indoors?

8. Back To Top    #8

Best is full sun, with your back to the sun. Hold at about tummy level and pour till the dot is completely obscured. You can do the CYA test multiple times with the same solution (it'll stay cloudy and fairly accurate for a long while, unlike the other tests) and then use your best number from all the pours.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

9. Back To Top    #9

Be sure now that you have the new kit to measure your FC and CC both. If you have CCs higher than .5, you might still have an issue that needs to be resolved.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!