Need Help Identifying Drain Plug

apwelb

LifeTime Supporter
May 29, 2011
Apple Valley, MN
I have a 2 year old Hayward Sand Filter S244T. It was installed before we bought the home.

My drain plug is leaking and the Pool Supply store that installed it apparently used a non-Hayward part. I have gone to them to get help identifying it and replacing it but they are taking their time getting back to me which is extremely irritating since I have now been unable to run my filter for 4 days.

I have attached a picture. Basically, what I have is a plastic screen with male threads and a hex assembly molded in. It threads into a larger hex assembly that is mounted to the tank. It seals with an o-ring. Then the drain plug, unlike anything I can find that Hayward makes, has a shoulder on it that seats against another o-ring that pushes against the hex assembly on the screen to form a seal. It is not the traditional style Hayward where there is a flat washer at the base of the plug, and the diameter of this plug is 1.5" and the hex head on it is 1.75" so it is much larger than the typical Hayward plug.

The problem I have is there is a crack in the male threads on the screen which the plug screws onto so I cannot tighten the plug enough to get it to seal.

Any help in identifying this is greatly appreciated. Needless to say, I am irritated.

Attachments

• Plug.jpg
    Plug.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 100
Just spoke to Hayward and emailed them the picture. They state the plug is a pipe cap and they have no idea where the screen came from. Pool store has still not called me back to identify it and provide parts. Does anybody know of a manufacturer that would make a screen like this? This is a mess.

The part numbers for the caps are : SX108HG or SX180LA the diagram is here http://www.poolweb.net/PDF-Poolweb/Hayw ... f?gc=clear I don't see a part for the nipple (or whatever it is called).

A couple of years ago, I had tried to replace the cap, but everyone was out of stock, so I found a pvc cap at Home Depot and used a hose washer with a lot of Jack's lube, which looks like what happened to yours. It might be ok with a new washer (S180G).

The pvc cap failed and I put on an OEM cap/seal and it has been fine ever since. I would use care when tightening, go a little at a time and avoid pliers.

Thanks for the reply. You basically underscored the crux of the issue. I have the manual and the part numbers and have seen them in person and what I have is nothing like them. Not even close. I then called Hayward and showed them the picture and they said it did not belong on the filter, in all likelihood the original assembly was damaged and they used this as a band-aid so they could install it and sell it. The problem I have is the pool store who installed it is dragging their feet in getting back to me so that is why I reached out here. I am hoping someone has an idea what I am dealing with because I need to replace the screen assembly due to the male threads on it being cracked and not allowing me to achieve enough tension on the o-ring with the plug to get a good seal. The problem is, I have no idea where the screen came from.

Grrrrr. I am so irritated right now. Just spitting nails. I haven't been able to run the filter for 4 days.

Thanks again for the response.

It seems the cap is usually wrenched on by the "pool professionals" around here. Which explains a lot of problems I've had.

I just went out and looked at mine, the nipple is molded (part of the filter housing) and not removable. If memory serves me, the threading is odd and easily cross threaded. Your picture supports your theory of previous repairs.

I might try some plumbers putty. Maybe go to HD and get a pvc threaded cap and washer. If you can find a threaded pvc connector, it might be able to tighten enough against the housing and put a plug in the end. If those don't work, the next step would be a plumbing specialty house and replace the repair, which I assume would involve removing the sand.

Yeah, I think you are right. A trip to the Depot is needed. I guess I will have to further bungie rig it.

I wish I were suprised that this pool store won't call me back. It's a shame when things like this are the norm but it seems customer service is truly a lost art. Additionally, I think it is a very strong indicator that they know they did a sub-standard installation and further conversation with me just reinforces that point. They are probably hoping if they ignore me long enough I will go away.

I prefer the term Macgyver.

I would try the pipe putty and caps, but before you go to a lot of effort and expense (like tearing down the filter), I would wait for a few opinions of how to deal with this. I would guess someone else has been in your spot. I also wonder if a hose bib, similar to what is used on rain barrels would work (at least some of the parts). Remember, avoid metal (just to be safe, don't ask how I know). Also, tighten a little at a time, my problems seem to have been caused by over tightening.

At least now, we have an idea what "as messed up as a football bat" means, at least in regards to a pool store, which might explain why they are hiding out.

Well, the next act in this saga is I went to HD and Ace. The fitting is not NPT, it is fine threaded more like a compression fitting but nobody has anything even close to the size I need so that was a dead end.

I think the problem was caused by over tightening because the male thread on the screen is breaking off right at the hex head so that is why I cannot get the plug tight enough to seal.

At this point I don't want to remove the screen assembly because I am scared to death it will strip and then I will have an even bigger problem. Not to mention, I can at least accomlish a minimal seal right now which stops the drips when I run it in bypass mode.

Besides putty and teflon tape, I'll grasp at a straw or two. Maybe a thick diameter oring between the hex part and cap? Maybe rtv filling the leaking area (I don't like rtv, but it seems the automotive industry seems to use it for everything). In any event, any sealer or option requires the ability to remove for winterization.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.