Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: test kit

1. Back To Top    #1

test kit

How can I get a K2006 test kit. I use the strips now and not convinced the readings are correct. My FC registers nothing even after just dumping in 24lbs of chlorine granuals.
    Kris
    In ground 26,000 gal. 16x36 Avg depth-6'
    Vinyl
    sand filter used 24/7
    auto cover
    Elgin/Illinois

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: test kit

Tftestkits have them (see my sig) and the fastest shipping anywhere. You should also look at the TF-100 as an alternative. It's a better value than the K-2006 even though it costs more. .
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks- The tf-100 looks too complicated-is the t2006 really better then the strips.
    Kris
    In ground 26,000 gal. 16x36 Avg depth-6'
    Vinyl
    sand filter used 24/7
    auto cover
    Elgin/Illinois

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Kjohnson
    Thanks- The tf-100 looks too complicated-is the t2006 really better then the strips.

The TF-100 and K2006 are mostly the same.

The tests in those kits are far more accurate and have far better range than the test strips. The TF-100 can test chlorine to 50ppm accurately.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

The K-2006 is night and day better than the strips.

Don't let the looks of the TF-100 fool you. It's all the same tests that are in the K-2006 (except acid and base demand), there's just more of what you use the most and it's in a different looking case. Even the instructions are the same.

If you decide on the K-2006 that's a fine kit and you'll be a lot better off having a good kit.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Kjohnson
    Thanks- The tf-100 looks too complicated
    Most tests are about the same complexity as making a box of macaroni & cheese, once you start using them you'll realize it's really simple. It takes approx 15 min max to do all of them.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

7. Back To Top    #7

I believe a bright 4th grader could test water accurately using either the K-2006 or the TF100. As stated above, same tests, same reagents, same instructions.

Can you count? Can you multiply? Can you tell red from purple from blue from green? You can do this.

The worst test for colors is pH, as it is more shades than actual color changing. And if one holds it at arm's length with a white background, it's not all that difficult to see the differences and decide is it 7.5, or is it pinker, and if so, is it closer to 7.5 or 7.8?

The payoff for a good test kit is sparkling balanced water. The ability to toss a coin in the pool and tell from the deck whether it's heads or tails. Or stepping out on a calm morning when the water is totally still and having the pool look empty. It can cause a bit of a shock at first glance, I'll tell you from experience! Last year my wife's best friend brought her daughters over to swim. They have a pool at their apartment. One of the girls said she likes swimming in our pool better because it's clearer - innocent honesty!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Also - make sure to check out this thread. Jason does an awesome job breaking down each test and his notes will answer most if not all questions you will have when you start doing the tests. I copied his posts and saved them on my iPad. At the very least print them out so you have them by your side when you are running the tests.
    34K gal IG, 37'x40' lagoon, vinyl, Pentair IntelliFlo VS Pump, 500# Hayward sand filter, Jandy SWG, Raypac heat pump, 4 deck jets, Hayward Super Pump + deck fountain, Dolphin Oasis Z5

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes, the T100 is easy to understand. Do the tests once or twice and you've got it all figured out. If you buy the T100 kit, the directions come on the lid so you always have them at a quick glance... great for the tests you do less frequently. No manual to pull out, nothing to remember.

Use a good test kit and the pool calculator together and there's really no guess work. Pretty straight forward.

I would agree with Richard that the ph test is sometimes a little difficult to judge. There is a direction sheet in the top lid of that test as well that is not secured to the lid. I turn it around and the back side is white... great backdrop for reading the ph test. The sheet seems to be coated with something too, so it doesn't get moldy and gross over time.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits