Using Pond water for pool fill up - Is this a good idea??

jacorm

May 22, 2012
NB, Canada
Hi everyone. I have an above ground Intex Steel frame pool 18' diameter x 4' deep, and will be filling up soon. I live out in the country, so I only have a few options. Last year I used our well water, and it turns out we have a lot of metals in our water, mostly iron. I was looking into having clean water brought to the house, but this will be about $300, and will still leave me a 1' short for maximum depth.
Our local FD will do it, but they get the water from a huge local pond, and it's free! (a donation is welcome).

I plan on getting a salt water system this year, and am wondering what steps should I take to help clear up the water once it's filled?

I am completely new to pool ownership, so any and all help will be great!

I have read that if I run the pump and keep changing the filters that this will help greatly.

Should I shock initially? How much?

Thanks in advance!!!

Re: Using Pond water for pool fill up - Is this a good idea?

Welcome to the Forum!!

1. Anytime you get water from a pond, algae is going to be a major concern and running the filter constantly by itself won't help. You will have to test the water, then treat according to your tests
2. Remember that swg's cannot shock your pool - they will only maintain FC for you.
3. Have you read Pool School on this forum? Are you using the BBB method, or traditional pool style?
4. How are you testing your water once your pool is filled?

Once we have more information, we'll definitely be able to get you on your way. I'm a newbie too, but I can tell you that I have learned tons already on this forum!

If you search the forum for filling a pool from a pond you'll find there are several people that have done. You'll need to shock the pool as soon as it's full but that's not an issue. Just have plenty of bleach on hand. You'll need a good test kit too.

Thanks, guys! I think I will need to bring in a sample to test the water.
I haven't read through everything yet, but I will be doing some reading through day to help me get through this!

Save yourself a lot of trouble and buy a test kit for yourself. The TF-Test kit and the Taylor K-2006 are both good. There might be others also, but I'm not sure. Bama Rambler, what do you recommend?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.