cleaned pool, impeller jammed?

Last night I was cleaning the filter, and after I got done and put everything back together, the pump would not turn on. I'm thinking that something might be jamming the impeller, since there was a crack in the pump basket and a lot of grass that got sucked up in there. My question is, is there a way for me to clean the impeller without taking the motor off? I know that my hand will not fit up in there to do it. I was wondering if using the hose with the brass nozzle attachment and sticking it in the pipe might work, but I don't want to damage the impeller either. I just put on this pump last year, and it was working fine before I turned it off. Please help!

This is one reason we recommend unions to connect the pump and filter to the plumbing. If you don't have any this would be a good time to add one. Shut off the power and remove the wet end from the pump to access the impeller. Unscrew the impeller and check for debris. Re-assemble, fill the basket with water and see if the pump powers on.

zea3 said:
This is one reason we recommend unions to connect the pump and filter to the plumbing. If you don't have any this would be a good time to add one. Shut off the power and remove the wet end from the pump to access the impeller. Unscrew the impeller and check for debris. Re-assemble, fill the basket with water and see if the pump powers on.

I'm sorry, I know you are speaking English, but I have absolutely no idea what that means! I understand accessing the impeller by taking off the wet end of the pump, I was just trying to avoid doing that. What do you mean by union? Pictures might be helpful. Thanks!

Bama Rambler said:
Did you try turning the pump by hand?
If you didn't I suggest you try that before tearing the pump down.
If it hummed and then shut off it may be a bad capacitor.

How do I turn the pump by hand? I know I have read before about sticking my hand town to see if I can reach the impeller to try to turn it, but my hand will not fit down there. When I turn it on, it hums, it doesn't stop humming until I turn it off. I didn't want to leave it on too long because I don't want to screw it up. We just replaced this motor last year, because we came home and the pump was humming but not pumping, and we didn't know how long it had been running, and it was advised that we replace the motor. Since I know this one hasn't been trying to run but not pumping, I don't want to risk screwing it up too.

You can remove the back cover from the motor and the motor shaft is back there. You should be able to turn the shaft with the pump still installed. It may take a wrench or screwdriver to turn it but it should turn with little effort. If you can, then it's most likely the start capacitor (under that bump on top of the motor).

Bama Rambler said:
You can remove the back cover from the motor and the motor shaft is back there. You should be able to turn the shaft with the pump still installed. It may take a wrench or screwdriver to turn it but it should turn with little effort. If you can, then it's most likely the start capacitor (under that bump on top of the motor).

(SORRY - I know I'm being a pain asking so many questions)

So if it does not turn at all or does not turn easily, then impeller jammed?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.