Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CH doesn't seem to want to rise

1. Back To Top    #1

CH doesn't seem to want to rise

My CH had always tested around 280-300 ppm. About a month back I purchased a new CH test kit that gave a new reading of 220 ppm. I figured it was a good time to add to some calcium, so I bought 300 lbs of the Peladow calcium chloride pellets.

I got a 5 gallon bucket and balanced it on the edge of the rim flow gutter. Then I ran a hose into the bucket on low flow and added the pellets roughly 5 lbs at a time so that they would sink to the bottom of the bucket, dissolve in the current from the hose, and then overflow the top of the bucket with half landing in the pool and half going into the gutter and on to the surge pit.

I figured 300 lbs would increase my CH by about 50 ppm, but I'm only reading a 20 ppm increase here a couple weeks later. Am I missing something? Will it take longer to circulate? Maybe I have misjudged my pool volume? Turnover is roughly 6 hours.

Results as of today:
    FC - 3
    CC - 3
    PH - 7.4
    TA - 140
    CH - 240
    CYA - 0
    660k Commercial Plaster Indoor Pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CH doesn't seem to want to rise

Did you use The Pool Calculator to get the amount needed to bring up your calcium, or did you guesstimate? Which test kit did you purchase? What are the dimensions of your pool?
    15' wide x30' long x 4.5' deep vinyl above ground, 13,500 gallons, hayward dream line sand filter, hayward power-flo lx pump 1.0 hp, lil shark cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

I did use The Pool Calculator, quite the handy tool btw. I use the Lamotte Pro 250 test kit with liquid reagents. It's an Olympic pool, measured by vendors and our maintenance guys a few times at 660,000 gallons...give or take 10,000.

4. Back To Top    #4

Good grief! Lemme see a pic of that thing!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

That's a huge pool!! I'm just guessing here but "give or take 10,000 gallons" is a lot of water, and it could definitely have an impact on how much calcium you need to get back to level. Anyway to nail down the pool volume a little tighter?
    15' wide x30' long x 4.5' deep vinyl above ground, 13,500 gallons, hayward dream line sand filter, hayward power-flo lx pump 1.0 hp, lil shark cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten
    That's a huge pool!! I'm just guessing here but "give or take 10,000 gallons" is a lot of water, and it could definitely have an impact on how much calcium you need to get back to level. Anyway to nail down the pool volume a little tighter?
    10,000 gallons is 1.5% of that monster pool. I'd say it's close enough!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

So it wouldn't make that much of a difference for his CH? His 1.5% is almost my entire pool....lol!

8. Back To Top    #8

hey ringfiner,

I'm moving this thread to Chem 201. Most all info on indoor pools is kept there.

We don't have a forum for (one of) the largest pools, but if we did you would only have a couple members in there with you
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Haha thanks.